How do you make a RODI turn off by itself?

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the RODI I want to get:

AQUATICLIFE Aquatic Life RO Buddie Plus DI Four Stage Reverse Osmosis Deionization Unit 50 GPD https://a.co/d/3UrwQ8T

However it will take some time to produce the water as it says 50 gallons in 24 hours.

I will be connecting this device to a garden hose outlet. I would hate to have to sit next to this device for 12 hours or more just to turn it off. How do I go about making this device turn off? Would a timer work? Do they make timers for garden hose?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AQUATICLIFE Aquatic Life RO Buddie Plus DI Four Stage Reverse Osmosis Deionization Unit 50 GPD https://a.co/d/3UrwQ8T

However it will take some time to produce the water as it says 50 gallons in 24 hours.

I will be connecting this device to a garden hose outlet. I would hate to have to sit next to this device for 12 hours or more just to turn it off. How do I go about making this device turn off? Would a timer work? Do they make timers for garden hose?
Turn it on, sleep for 8 hrs, see what you have produced overnight :) test and repeat the process if successful.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a float valve from BRS, mine runs off of the same line as the washing machine, not sure if that makes a difference.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote float valve. Timer will work but you need to know how long it will actually take(they don't necessarily produce product waste at the advertised rate). Float valve stops when it's full, period

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote float valve. Timer will work but you need to know how long it will actually take(they don't necessarily produce product waste at the advertised rate). Float valve stops when it's full, period
Maybe I’ll install both a timer and a float valve to make sure there is no overfill.

This is the float valve:

AquaticLife Float Valve Kit for RO & RO/DI Systems https://a.co/d/85bGPuk

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question: how often do I clean out the cartridges/canisters of the RODI unit?
That depends on the quality of your city/well water and what you keep in your aquaria. My city uses chloramines and I keep a lot of sensitive acropora so I change my Prefilter and first carbon block every 2 months, membrane annually, and DI lasts 2+ years as I have 3 stages. With a single stage DI expect to change it every few months.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Turn it on when you are home and turn off when you leave and resume when you or someone else is back home. I use a float valve and it actually stops the flow of water when my drum is full

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends on the quality of your city/well water and what you keep in your aquaria. My city uses chloramines and I keep a lot of sensitive acropora so I change my Prefilter and first carbon block every 2 months, membrane annually, and DI lasts 2+ years as I have 3 stages. With a single stage DI expect to change it every few months.
To expand on this... use a tds meter to calculate source water rejection rate to determine membrane replacement. Di resin should change color, tds meter confirms. Dual inline is best/ easiest. Handheld is cheap and works. I change sediment when it looks dirty, carbon after changing sediment 2 or 3 times

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back