How do you organize your photos?

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to get a better system for organizing my photos, and I'm just not sure how I should do it. So you just finished shooting some photos and now it's time to take your sd card and upload them to your computer. Do you just take what's on the card and make it a folder with date or name? Or do you sort the photos into categories like "fish" with a sub folder for each kind of fish? Or are you using software to sort for you? I use a Mac and I have used iPhoto but I'm not confident in it just because of the way when you delete a photo it doesn't really delete it off your computer just out of iphoto kinda like iTunes. Plus the sorting on it sucks either way

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have mine under an aquarium folder and then under dated folders.

CJ

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine categorized by FTS, PTS (partial), SPS, LPS, Softies. The coral folders are subdivided into each coral with dates so that I can keep track of growth progression.

Mitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I name a master folder with the location/name of each job. Then I have a sub folder with the date. ( I shoot at the same LFS's on a weekly basis) I upload everything into the date folder. I then back up to an external drive and I burn a dvd or 2 or 3...Kind of redundant I know but Hard Drives are meant to fail at some point so I have to be prepared.

Inside that dated folder I have several others...a working folder, a finished folder and a 800dpi folder for my internet uploads...its sounds confusing but it all makes sense to me. lol

keokea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use adobe bridge for everything, Then it's backed up on a external hdd along with the home media server. I like swannyson7 sub directory method though, also like Mitchell said hard drives fail

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have things separated in a multi-tiered folder structure as well. Sometimes it is confusing but it works for me... Examples below

Top Tier: Family, Pets, Trips,

Under Pets I have: Big Guy (Dragon), Lenny (Turtle), Chinchillas, Reef Aquarium

Under Reef Aquarium it is organized by year folders. Under the year folders are monthly folders. Within the monthly folders are subfolders for when I edit a photo (to save the original) and if I upload them to PhotoBucket pre-formatted...

May not be the best but it works.

For backup I have been looking into Carbonite as I need to find something Off-Site. It takes at least 15 DVDs to back up my pictures and hard drives do fail...

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have folders for different topics like, House,reef, halloween 09, Christmas 08...etc If I am in a hurry I just have a folder on my desktop to dump the pics in to be sorted later called New Pics.

OP
OP
dgiglio3087

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have folders for different topics like, House,reef, halloween 09, Christmas 08...etc If I am in a hurry I just have a folder on my desktop to dump the pics in to be sorted later called New Pics.

Thats the approach ive been taking, and it seems to be working although i end up with a few folders with only 1-2 things in each one.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back