How do you prep your fish food ?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what you are saying is that the bloodworms that I've been adding, at most, are soaking in the Zoe and Selcon giving the fish some, if any, nutrition?

I don't know the nutritional profile of bloodworms. I was just emphasizing the benefits of blackworms.

I use everything. What one doesn't have, or have much of, something else will cover.

OP
OP
PJS

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the nutritional profile of bloodworms. I was just emphasizing the benefits of blackworms.

I use everything. What one doesn't have, or have much of, something else will cover.
I see, thanks for the reply. That's the reason I started this thread, to get some ideas on how to improve my feedings. I want to give the best rounded nutrition I can.
Insert corny comment here - - - - > The more I know the more I grow!

John Holbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago I decided to get a ATS for the tank. About the same time I was contemplating ways to portion out the fish food mixture in a more consistent way. I take a large flat of mysis, a small flat of bloodworms and put them in my tupperware container, once thawed I add garlic extract, Zoe and Selcon. I mix that all up and (had been) splitting the mix up in to two ziplock freezer bags and let them freeze flat, once frozen I would take a meat tenderizer hammer and bust them up. It worked but it was too easy to be inconsistent in how much I thawed each day to feed. Now I take the mixture and fill these candy trays, just to the top of the green, I got from the gettin' place and have the same size of "cube" to feed every day. Works very well.

20170207_184304.jpg

I'm curious to see how other reefers are prepping their fish food...
That's a good idea. What I use is The frozen cubes and put 1 in a container and use a syringe to feed with, that way I can regulate how much I feed.

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clear things up. Bloodworms are mosquito larvae. They will not soak anything up. Live Black worms are filter filters and when placed in fresh water will consume whatever is in there. If placed in SW they will die in 10 seconds. You can buy freeze dried Black Worms, but there is very little evidence of them being any good.

OP
OP
PJS

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clear things up. Bloodworms are mosquito larvae. They will not soak anything up. Live Black worms are filter filters and when placed in fresh water will consume whatever is in there. If placed in SW they will die in 10 seconds. You can buy freeze dried Black Worms, but there is very little evidence of them being any good.
Good info to know, thanks for sharing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back