How do you put a ReefBrite XHO on an ATI Powermodule?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was super excited my RB showed up today! opened it up, looked at the brackets, looked at the ATI, back at the brackets... looking to the ATI again... Sigh. Nothin's simple.

SO do I HAVE to drill into my ATI fixture? And if so, does anyone have proper measurements on where to drill from the edge?

My fixture is quite a pain to get down.. I'll also have to fight the cable nest to get the fixture out to boot. So if there happens to be any other super easy fix I'm all ears. (Pics would be epic).

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no.

If the fixture and the led and the XHO are the same length, then you should be able to use the screws at the end of the ATI fixtures as the mounting points for the brackets. In my case, I have a 60" fixture and a 48" LED bar, so I had to drill holes into the fixture. Mine are so heavy, that I wouldnt trust mounting tape or velcro to hold it up. If the bar is only a 24", then maybe it could work that way. Otherwise, just use a tape measure and a pencil to take your measurements, then use the bracket to mark your guide holes and drill away. Be very careful, as there is nothing between the aluminum shell and the reflectors on those panels, so you can run your bit right through the reflector or even shatter your bulb if you are heavy handed with your drill.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to turn the bracket around on the Reefbrite to get to line up.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9a2dea3732c086d7b3f75d8ee4080412.jpg

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to turn the bracket around on the Reefbrite to get to line up.

9a2dea3732c086d7b3f75d8ee4080412.jpg

That's cool, and that's what I'll have to do as well -- The problem is the power modules don't look anything like that. They have a round shape, and no flat area with screws like the Sunpower

Example 1 (Note the rounded edge)
3_zps77514a75.jpg

Example 2 (Note the drill hole -- That's for a small 6x 3/8" screw
1_zps1642980f.jpg

Yes and no.

If the fixture and the led and the XHO are the same length, then you should be able to use the screws at the end of the ATI fixtures as the mounting points for the brackets. In my case, I have a 60" fixture and a 48" LED bar, so I had to drill holes into the fixture. Mine are so heavy, that I wouldnt trust mounting tape or velcro to hold it up. If the bar is only a 24", then maybe it could work that way. Otherwise, just use a tape measure and a pencil to take your measurements, then use the bracket to mark your guide holes and drill away. Be very careful, as there is nothing between the aluminum shell and the reflectors on those panels, so you can run your bit right through the reflector or even shatter your bulb if you are heavy handed with your drill.

It's the same length, but the Powermodule is a completely different shape -- There ARE no holes at the end of the ATI fixtures (See images above). Only one of the bracket screw holes fit at the point of the fixture, and it will need to be drilled onto the side it seems.

I'm gonna have to just drill it myself: Wish me luck! I'm mildly worried lol...

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp, I was terrified I'd somehow explode the PM fixture, cause a fire and burn the house down. Oh, plus kill the tank.

Wasn't that bad. Drilled a Pilot hole, then used some 6 x 3/8" self-tapping metal screws (nearly identical to the RB fixture bolts). Fixture has been fixtured.

IMG_20170324_155713.jpg

IMG_20170324_154726204.jpg

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice

Thanks! It's not bad, however I should have drilled the holes just a tad lower. Can't see too much of a difference with all 6 bulbs on (3x Blue+, 1 Coral+, 1 Purple+, 1 ABS), some shimmer shows up and looks nicely blue with the actinic channel on (1 Coral+, 1 Blue+), and everything looks over the top with just the XHO on.

I may consider doing a DIY bar to add to the back side.. Hard to say if I'd rather fun'd supplemental LED bars or upgrade my mp10 drivers...

Decisions, decisions.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back