How do you switch out sumps? Please show me pics of your sump setups for your large tanks

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's seems the more equipment I get for my tank the less room I have LOL so I have a 90g drilled. It came with the sump as is. I have made some upgrades to the filtration but ultimately I'm not happy with the layout and size of the sump. I BARELY have enough room for my bio pellet reactor & pump, skimmer, return pump, heater and now getting a UV sterilizer & pump.
Here's a pic of my sump now.
20210508_110455.jpg

I also don't like the bio balls and have been advised to switch them out. I know if I do this it's going to cause a huge change in parameters. I also don't like the flat tray, it's a pain and I can't really use a sock. I'd want a sump with a sock. The next sump I get won't have the bio balls, but I still need a place for my matrix, purigen etc. Can some people show me pics of their sump setups? I just need the physical space for all my equipment and then another form of media instead of the bio balls.
Do I just remove the bioballs cold turkey when switching?? I have a heavy bioload. Not sure how to go about switching

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60"x30"x 24 tall
For your set up room to spare maybe:

60sump.jpg

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those plastic bio balls are from the 80s. Marine pure or pond matrix will do the same thing but about 1000x more effective for the same about of volume. Using one of them instead would free up alot of space for you.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 89 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back