How Does High Phosphates Affect My Aquarium?

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
facebook.jpg
While phosphorus is important for the development of livestock, it can be risky for aquaria occupants, especially corals. The perfect level of phosphorus in saltwater reef aquaria is 0.02 - 0.03 ppm.
How Does High Phosphates Affect My Aquarium?
-High phosphate induces Algae Growth. When Algae develop they will consume oxygen and can lead to low oxygen conditions. Without a sufficient amount of dissolved oxygen, the living organisms cannot stay alive. -High levels of phosphorus lead to algae blooms within the corals, concealing the common color pigments of corals and causing the coral to turn brown. -High phosphate levels limit the calcium carbonate intake, essential to empower the coral skeleton. This process leads to a fragile Coral skeleton. The latter is likely more exposed to breakage from other damaging forces. Test every 3 days for your phosphate on the ReefBot to keep this parameter under control. By monitoring the phosphate level in your aquarium you can significantly improve your coral condition and suppress the growth of unwanted Algae.
#phosphate #reefbot #ReefBotPro #reefkinetics

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back