How does Instant Ocean Bio-Spira actually work?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm just wondering, how does this product work and how well does it work to do what it claims? It claims that it makes your tank fish safe instantly but how can that be possible unless it also neutralizes the ammonia like Seachem Prime? Or are you not supposed to dose ammonia in the non-cycled tank before adding it?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biospira is nitrifying bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite to nitrate.

If you already have fish in the tank, this is the ammonia source. Do not add ammonia to tanks already housing fish.

The bacteria takes a few days to really get their population going, so you ideally should cycle the tank without fish for 1 week and drop a pellet or two. If you already have fish inside, dose more bacteria and do not feed heavily until the tank is more established.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biospira is nitrifying bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite to nitrate.

If you already have fish in the tank, this is the ammonia source. Do not add ammonia to tanks already housing fish.
No, it's a new QT tank with nothing in it...to cycle the tank I added ammonia and I'm going to add the Bio Spira product...is it supposed to make it safe instantly or is that only if you don't add ammonia first

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's a new QT tank with nothing in it...to cycle the tank I added ammonia and I'm going to add the Bio Spira product...is it supposed to make it safe instantly or is that only if you don't add ammonia first
You need the seachem ammonia alert badge to know if it’s safe! :)

Ideally you should let the tank sit a week with the bacteria before adding fish. You need the bacteria to propagate in the tank. More bacteria = less ammonia.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such thing as instant unless it's bad. That's a dormant bacteria and in my experience it takes 10-14 days to fully cycle.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need the seachem ammonia alert badge to know if it’s safe! :)

Ideally you should let the tank sit a week with the bacteria before adding fish. You need the bacteria to propagate in the tank. More bacteria = less ammonia.
Ok, that's what I thought...I confused myself tbh!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to answer the question: biospira works very well. I recommend having a sponge (from the fish store) to increase surface area for the bacteria to live in.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back