How far apart to place frags in QT ?

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things don't always go as planned and I am back asking for help again.

I got to go to my first coral show over the weekend. Since it was my first time going to one, never dipped coral and never QT'ed, the plan was simple, raid the bargain bins. I also wanted to meet venders, get business cards (to recognize them online) and get a general feel of what to expect. Mission accomplished. I got quite a few for less than $50 (schools are awesome) . Now If I lost one I will be sad but not cash poor sad.

Then comes my daughter and her boyfriend to put a monkey wrench in things. They go an buy a $250 golden torch and two clowns to put in my QT (I wanted to go with no fish originally). So now I'm paranoid. We dipped them and in the QT they went. The QT light is not the best but I will be getting a clearance AI prime Thursday.

Everyone opened fully and seems happy except the torches. It seems they don't like each other. They are in good flow area but one opens and then other closes up. I seen a long string out of the golden torch so I am guessing warfare ? How far apart should they be ?

As Always I appreciate your help.

Whites are on for the picture showing placement.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Things don't always go as planned and I am back asking for help again.

I got to go to my first coral show over the weekend. Since it was my first time going to one, never dipped coral and never QT'ed, the plan was simple, raid the bargain bins. I also wanted to meet venders, get business cards (to recognize them online) and get a general feel of what to expect. Mission accomplished. I got quite a few for less than $50 (schools are awesome) . Now If I lost one I will be sad but not cash poor sad.

Then comes my daughter and her boyfriend to put a monkey wrench in things. They go an buy a $250 golden torch and two clowns to put in my QT (I wanted to go with no fish originally). So now I'm paranoid. We dipped them and in the QT they went. The QT light is not the best but I will be getting a clearance AI prime Thursday.

Everyone opened fully and seems happy except the torches. It seems they don't like each other. They are in good flow area but one opens and then other closes up. I seen a long string out of the golden torch so I am guessing warfare ? How far apart should they be ?

As Always I appreciate your help.

Whites are on for the picture showing placement.

Can't see the pic. I would think the torches would be ok together. To be safe, you could place them on opposite sides of the tank. Granular activated carbon (dosed per directions) should minimize byproducts of alelopathy.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
Unfortuntaly it was worse than I expected. I just learned about brown jelly disease. The one and only expensive coral is just about gone. We quickly setup a 5g tank I had and are trying to save it but being a new reefer who knows.

I am going to try and save it or at least use it as a learning experience.

We focused first on removing the nacrotic tissues. We dipped it in Revive and used a 10ml syringe to blow out the jelly ( and any dead tissue). It was amazing what came out. We were wondering if there would be any tissue left. There are a few popups so who knows. We then rinsed it and gave it a rest for a few hours. We pulled it again and dipped it in H2O2 (20:1) using the same syringe we blew it out again. some final bits came out. We felt like surgeons cutting out flesh eating bacteria leaving only healthy tissue. We dipped it in clean water and then gave it a final dip in and IODINE solution Seachem Reef dip. There isn't much left after we got all the narcotic tissue off. However there are a few polups so it is possible it will survive (we can dream). I have nothing to loose giving it a try I guess.

Now it is sitting in a 5g tank we call ICU, We added a little Amino acid and trace elements to that tank and a small amount of reefroids.

I also did several large water changes in the QT. No other corals in the QT are showing any signs of infection. I guess it solidifies the need for a QT. I would have hated for this to happen in my DT. The scary part is I thought it was the QT tank causing it to be angry and toyed with the Idea of putting it in. Wow how stupid that thought was.

One lesson learned will be when I get a coral I am going to treat it as having a disease. Im going to first treat for pests then for dead or damaged tissue.

Here it is day one. The day we got it from the show, dipped and put into QT.

Hey here is fun fact. I had the same procedure done to me when part of my pancreas dies. its called necrosectomy which is Debridement of dead tissue in the pancreas.

IMG_9087.JPG

Day two - You can see it starting on the top left. All the detritus on the bottom of the tank was overnight not sure why (its clean now)
WGXT2968.JPG

Today in ICU There are popups on the lower left. However its mostly a husk.
IMG_9147.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The qt has been tuning for 2 months. I have a hob filter on the back. I have. Bag of activated carbon carbon n the tank and a bag of biomedia in the tank as well. I am getting an AI prime tomorrow to better adjust the lighting.
B6827F0C-F3EC-4F0E-AF1E-692B6C53F771.jpeg

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Noooooooooo! So sorry to hear this. I have never been big on LPS, but will have a significant amount in my current display.

I will definitely add this to my prophylactic QT protocol. Thank you for sharing, and keep us posted.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that, but If more than half the Torch is gone then it probably will not make it because most likely the mouth was destroyed. I had a Hammer that was just about half destroyed by Brown Jelly and did the same as you by dipping in Revive and blowing off all the brown and dead tissue and it actually made it, but only half the mouth was damaged so I had a much better chance of it surviving.

As far as placement goes, you can put them as close together as you want to any other Torch and they will be fine. Do not place them close to any other coral though, (including other Euphyllia) because they will sting anything they can reach. Hammers and Frogspawn can be close together as well, but not close to Torches.

On a side not: Torches can very in preference to flow and my Aussie Golds love higher flow than my other Torches.They also seem do better in Nitrates above 5 PPM and I had a hard time raising my Nitrates since I have a fishless QT as well. My Torches would not fully extend in lower Nitrates and did not look that healthy. I ended up adding several inverts and feeding heavy until my Nitrates raised and my Torches finally started to fully extend and look healthy.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,
We think the mouth is still there however most of it is gone. I personally am not expecting it to live but its not over until its over I guess. My main focus now is on the other corals back in the QT. My nitrates are above 20 (phosphates are high at .3 and im knocking them down now)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back