How far from wall for the tank

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm arranging my 10x10 office for my soon to be new dream tank. How far from the wall should I have it. I'm super tight on space. Will have to turn my desk. I'd like to get away with the least amt lol's. I've always done about 4-5 inches but can I do less? What is the point as you can't get back there anyway

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also went with the “5 inch rule” in case I decided to get a HOB filter. You only need space to hide electrical cords and provide some air movement if not using any hang on the back skimmer or filters IMO

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a minimum, enough to be able to put your entire arm behind the tank. That is how my 92 corner is setup.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, as soon as you put the tank so close to the wall that you can't reach behind it you will need to reach behind it. I have also found that with the inevitable salt creep/occasional splash, if the tank is too close you will destroy the drywall.

I allow about 6"

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BostonReefer300 The tank will most likely be the RS reefer 3xl900 79x25.6x26.75 240 total water volume Was planning on the Reefer S-1000 but this tank is almost 3 inches shorter which while not much makes a bit of difference.

@Zionas lol's not with my furniture! Looks like I have to move out my nice oak bookcase
@Fishnut No hang on the back.

Electrical boxes will be prob. 4' high as this is a garage wall and there is some sort of barrier per the electrician so If I have him put the new outlets near the corner, I won't need any access behind except to run plugs. So maybe I can get away with 3 or 4 inches?

Here's my office. I turned the desk around. Bookcase has to go, and the credenza has to move down which means printer has to move. My office will literally be tank and desk and credenza lol's. What a job this is turning out to be!!
20210620_000005.jpg
20210620_000015.jpg
20210619_235945.jpg

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not going to walk around the back of the tank or ever put something bulky behind it (HOB overflow, refugium, UV, etc.), then there's no reason for more space needed other than fitting your arm comfortably behind it

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave as much room as you possibly can. Never know what future holds?

For example, if you change from Hanging your lights above to mounts on the back of your tank, you will need a few inches of space. I regretted putting my tank too close to wall and couldn’t change lighting options.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever decide to paint that room a different color, keep spacing in mind.

Even mini paint rollers need some space

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank that big you need enough space to walk behind it or build a fish room behind it. You probably need room for a step latter. You should have access to every part of it. Not like a 30g where you can work on the back of the tank from the front.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank that big you need enough space to walk behind it or build a fish room behind it.

Why do you say that?

I have a 6ft 180g 4" off the wall since 2013. I've never had the need to walk behind it.

Drive my car thru it? Yes :mad:
Walk behind it? No

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm arranging my 10x10 office for my soon to be new dream tank. How far from the wall should I have it. I'm super tight on space. Will have to turn my desk. I'd like to get away with the least amt lol's. I've always done about 4-5 inches but can I do less? What is the point as you can't get back there anyway
I just tried to add arms for Kessils (then Radions) to the back of my tank and could not because my dummy didn’t leave enough room across the back. I think I have 1.5” and wish I had 3”

PeterZammetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- 7 inches from wall, just cut the hole and place it in the wall lol! };->

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how much space did you leave? And has that worked ok?Or do you wish you'd left more?

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how much space did you leave? And has that worked ok?Or do you wish you'd left more?
I left just over 6". It's enough I can maneuver cords with a tool as the cabinet openings are beyond arms reach on one side lol's. And if anything falls, I can use a grabber to get.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back