How fast does Brooklynella spread?

jasper9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 3 PJ cardinals yesterday, then about an hour later I found a hermit crab munching on a small clownfish. I am unsure if the fish died first or not unfortunately, however I did notice the surviving clown has early stages of Brook compared to Humblefish's photos. I don't think I see brook on the dead one, but I am no expert. I have the surviving clown in ruby reef rally right now and will move to QT afterwards.

So my question is, can Brook be transferred *that* fast to kill or show symptoms (was it from the PJ's in other words)?

I have a number of other fish in the display (Yellow Tang, 6x Chromis, 3x PJ's already mentioned), can brook survive on them but show no symptoms? Is going fallow absolutely the only way to get rid of it or will it keep coming back because some survive on these others?

If it *can* survive on others and show no symptoms it most likely came from the tang which was from a LFS and not QT'ed at all or from invert's if they can carry it. Hopefully not the Chromis, Clowns or PJs as they were from a QT dealer.

View Badges
It’s possible your clown already had the brook but wasn’t until a stressful event happened (the arrival of new fish) and caused it to show itself. Brook can go zero to 100 in no time, dealt with it twice.
I would follow humblefish advice, he’s the best

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 3 PJ cardinals yesterday, then about an hour later I found a hermit crab munching on a small clownfish. I am unsure if the fish died first or not unfortunately, however I did notice the surviving clown has early stages of Brook compared to Humblefish's photos. I don't think I see brook on the dead one, but I am no expert. I have the surviving clown in ruby reef rally right now and will move to QT afterwards.

So my question is, can Brook be transferred *that* fast to kill or show symptoms (was it from the PJ's in other words)?

I have a number of other fish in the display (Yellow Tang, 6x Chromis, 3x PJ's already mentioned), can brook survive on them but show no symptoms? Is going fallow absolutely the only way to get rid of it or will it keep coming back because some survive on these others?

If it *can* survive on others and show no symptoms it most likely came from the tang which was from a LFS and not QT'ed at all or from invert's if they can carry it. Hopefully not the Chromis, Clowns or PJs as they were from a QT dealer.
No protozoan disease can develop that quickly. The fastest one is Amyloodinium (velvet) and it takes days to develop. People think it kills "instantly" because they miss the early symptoms of it. Brooklynella has pretty telling mucus for a day or two prior to the fish dying.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back