How fast to increase light for acros?

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 x XR15 G5 Pro over a Reefer 250. The tank has small acro frags in it.

I had the lights set to AB @ 60% and having got a Seneye, tested and found that the PAR was pretty low. For example a strawberry shortcake acro is in 160 uMol, I guess it should be closer to 250-300 to colour up nicely.

Should i gradually ramp it up say 1-3% a day? Or would it be better to do it in one big hit?

I always thought it was better to do it gradually but I've heard people saying that it's better to do it in one go and let the coral adapt rather than constantly moving the goalposts for it.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go as slow as you can stand. I would moved it no more than 5% a week. Then watch your corals.

Upvote 0

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest problem with LEDs is their variability. It makes it too easy to overdo or underwhelm corals. Find settings and heights that successful tanks are using that look like what you want your tank to look like. Set the lights to that height and intensity then place new corals on the sand for a week or so until gluing it in place on the rock work. Don't mess with the light settings once you have them properly set.

As a reference I have been growing coral of every kind and under every type of light for 2 decades.

2001- VHO lights

2001.Start.jpg

2004 - 1000 watt metal halides

2004.Zenith.JPG

2011- 400 watt Radium metal halide with VHO actinics

2011.Zenith.jpg

2017 - 250 watt HQI with T5 supplements

2017.Zenith.JPG

2021 - LEDs with T5 supplements

2021 - my fist nano with LEDs

FTS.nano.4.26.21.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ajm83

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest problem with LEDs is their variability. It makes it too easy to overdo or underwhelm corals. Find settings and heights that successful tanks are using that look like what you want your tank to look like. Set the lights to that height and intensity then place new corals on the sand for a week or so until gluing it in place on the rock work. Don't mess with the light settings once you have them properly set.

As a reference I have been growing coral of every kind and under every type of light for 2 decades.
Gorgeous tanks.

What you were saying about moving them straight from the sand to their final location sounds more like just moving them once and letting them get it over with in one shot. It is kinda tempting.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back