• Modify Store Bought

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbie style I presume. Excellent choice. We're using a dual-herbie design on our 300gal Display. I would use 1 1/2" pipe for both the syphon & emergency drains. That should give you plenty of flow.

I'm a huge fan of biological filtration. I would still include the skimmer for oxygen, unless you plan on another method of aeration. We have an undersized skimmer for our display, but we also have ~400lbs of rock, a DIY waterfall algae scrubber & we're using a surge device to promote gas exchange. We used dry rock & it took awhile to cure, so if you are planning on using dry rock, I would get started as soon as you can using the stock tank.

As far as corals go, those lights will grow anything. I would decide on what fish you want then back into the corals question. Few are self-healing & resiliant, like the kenya tree, but they are also more like a weed & grow everywhere. You can tear them off the rock with your hands & they will still grow back after a week or so. Add one 1" frag & you will be finding them everywhere for the next few years.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weld-on 4 I abetter choice that 16. 16 will quickly get a surface skim before you can apply it to a long edge and then will not bond properly. Their may be better options than 4 though. I believe most use a different product for thicker acrylic. You will want to look into the pins method of assembly. I ever had much luck with it my self, so I definatly suggest practicing on some scraps first. Like already mentioned you might want to build your sump first for practice.
Euro bracing is preferred ever cross braces by most and I believe much stronger. The fact your material is bowed already is going to create issues for you I believe.

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not ever use 16 for structural bonding. You can use it to glue in baffles or weirs, but it is not a structural solvent and it bubbles like crazy. 16 is 4 with acrylic melted into it. Only use 4 for tank seams.

Pin, shim, add to the gap with a solvent bottle. Tons of good YouTube videos on this.

IMG_20190920_204619.jpg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to use 3/4“ Acrylic in hope that it would not begin to bow further on down the road.

Man that acrylic is sharp. Lol

635865EC-9B65-4554-8275-21684D2E1BE3.jpeg B3C1823E-E9A3-4B0E-9EFD-2A177D61A965.jpeg
SHEET TYPE CONSIDERATION

Manufacturers recommend that all acrylic water vessels, including aquariums, should be constructed with Cell Cast Acrylic Sheet. This requirement exists for two reasons:

1. CAST Acrylic sheet is more capable of withstanding continuous loads than continuously manufactured or extruded sheet.
  2. CAST Acrylic sheet maintains a high level of mechanical strength after water absorption has reached equilibrium.
Cemented joints must withstand the effects of the continuous hydraulic pressure and the high level of water absorption for many years.

Two-part polymerizable cements are recommended for your construction to meet this requirement.

OP
OP
Louiemiller9

Louiemiller9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbie style I presume. Excellent choice. We're using a dual-herbie design on our 300gal Display. I would use 1 1/2" pipe for both the syphon & emergency drains. That should give you plenty of flow.

I'm a huge fan of biological filtration. I would still include the skimmer for oxygen, unless you plan on another method of aeration. We have an undersized skimmer for our display, but we also have ~400lbs of rock, a DIY waterfall algae scrubber & we're using a surge device to promote gas exchange. We used dry rock & it took awhile to cure, so if you are planning on using dry rock, I would get started as soon as you can using the stock tank.

As far as corals go, those lights will grow anything. I would decide on what fish you want then back into the corals question. Few are self-healing & resiliant, like the kenya tree, but they are also more like a weed & grow everywhere. You can tear them off the rock with your hands & they will still grow back after a week or so. Add one 1" frag & you will be finding them everywhere for the next few years.
Thanks for the feedback man... love hearing about other setups.

OP
OP
Louiemiller9

Louiemiller9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not ever use 16 for structural bonding. You can use it to glue in baffles or weirs, but it is not a structural solvent and it bubbles like crazy. 16 is 4 with acrylic melted into it. Only use 4 for tank seams.

Pin, shim, add to the gap with a solvent bottle. Tons of good YouTube videos on this.

IMG_20190920_204619.jpg
Appreciate the feedback!
Thanks man !

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see someone else building an acrylic, I used weldon 42 for mine but there's a lot of bends and complicated seams, you should be fine with 4 but please practice and ask if something doesn't seem right. Make sure all the edges are nice and smooth/even and you will be fine.

OP
OP
Louiemiller9

Louiemiller9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used a combination of the 16 and 4 acrylic weld and it came out pretty good. The hardest part for me was trying to correct the bow while the weld was being applied. I used a series of shins to keep everything in place while applying a tremendous amount of weight onto the seams in order to ensure I good seal.

so now would you guys recommend going back over it with some sort of caulking? If so what would you recommend.

I would really appreciate the feedback. Running to Lowe’s today so feel free to let me know what works best.

1C0D1A39-626A-44D9-A314-21E655B97129.jpeg 6456BAB3-742A-4283-BFEF-5C1D5FBA0AEC.jpeg

OP
OP
Louiemiller9

Louiemiller9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now starting to think about a stand... any recommendations?
I really like the look of aluminum t channels but don’t know if it’s worth the hassle....

OP
OP
Louiemiller9

Louiemiller9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I haven’t tried keeping Kenya But seems more of a bother than anything, like you said. Lol

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used a combination of the 16 and 4 acrylic weld and it came out pretty good. The hardest part for me was trying to correct the bow while the weld was being applied. I used a series of shins to keep everything in place while applying a tremendous amount of weight onto the seams in order to ensure I good seal.

so now would you guys recommend going back over it with some sort of caulking? If so what would you recommend.

I would really appreciate the feedback. Running to Lowe’s today so feel free to let me know what works best.

1C0D1A39-626A-44D9-A314-21E655B97129.jpeg 6456BAB3-742A-4283-BFEF-5C1D5FBA0AEC.jpeg
16 is basically caulking for acrylic. If bonded properly you should not need caulking. Lowes or Home Depot do not sell anything suitable for making an acrylic aquarium except tools like clamps.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back