• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Louiemiller9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
so I just wanted to start a thread to document my journey throughout the aquarium fabrication process. I have access to CNC Routing tables which will help with the initial Mock-up when I go to cut it. All of my files are original and completely custom to this tank build.

So some back story, I started off taking an interest in this hobby about 2 years ago growing from a 55 Gallon Aqueon (Which was terrible) to breaking the bank (at the time) and purchasing a 70.3g Waterbox Aquirium set (Kit). You know how all refers say “don't get a small tank you will always want to go bigger”, well I didn’t believe it. Which brings me to about 3 weeks ago when i decided i wanted to make a “Shallow” reef tank with plenty of surface area to accommodate my dream aquascapes. The demensions of this tank were going to 60x24x18.... not sure what that equates to in gallons but either way my wife is going to kill me.

I will be attaching files on the way to document my journey.
I hope you all enjoy,
Lou

One quick note:

No, I have never done this and have limited experience in building anything let alone something that hold dozens of gallons of water.

OP
OP
Louiemiller9

Louiemiller9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to use 3/4“ Acrylic in hope that it would not begin to bow further on down the road.

Man that acrylic is sharp. Lol

635865EC-9B65-4554-8275-21684D2E1BE3.jpeg B3C1823E-E9A3-4B0E-9EFD-2A177D61A965.jpeg

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your living my dream! lol. i'm in the process of building my CNC router and cant wait to build a tank with it. I had to take down my 55gal last year and have been itching to get back into it ever since. Got to finish the basement first though... wife's rules lol.
I would build the sump first. It will be smaller and give you chance to practice acrylic bonding without being too concerned about final appearance.
Looking forward to the build, best of luck!

OP
OP
Louiemiller9

Louiemiller9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your living my dream! lol. i'm in the process of building my CNC router and cant wait to build a tank with it. I had to take down my 55gal last year and have been itching to get back into it ever since. Got to finish the basement first though... wife's rules lol.
I would build the sump first. It will be smaller and give you chance to practice acrylic bonding without being too concerned about final appearance.
Looking forward to the build, best of luck!
That’s awesome man! What’s kind of CNC table did you get?

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I'm doing it the hard way and building it from scratch. What I am currently building is the MPCNC by V1 engineering. Its a 3D printed routing table that I'm going to build to have a 2.5ftx2.5ft workspace. That is just for the meantime until I can save up and build a 4ftx8ft maker cabinet that has a router, laser cutter, drag knife and vacuum table all in one. That one is completely designed by me, but I wont be building that until I move into a larger house.

OP
OP
Louiemiller9

Louiemiller9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started to assemble the side walls... no glue yet just making sure everything lines up... the acrylic is bowed on the long walls... about a 1/8 of an inch.

6E75985A-500C-4EFD-B2C5-A32ECFED4DFD.jpeg

OP
OP
Louiemiller9

Louiemiller9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to want a euro brace on the top. No matter if it's 1/2" or 3/4", it will eventually bow. you're at the perfect stage to cut a top piece and never have that be a concern.
Could I just cut 2 or 3 pieces of 3/4” acrylic and run them down the middle of the tank? Solvent weld them to the top?

BF483EDA-7FB1-414F-8AFB-3B4CC2CD2505.png

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you search R2R there are a few threads on witch weld on to use for what.

I am no excerpt on tank building in fact i have never build one. but I would suggest getting clarity for the "experts" if Euro bracing or a few braced would do the job.
I wounder after you bond it if it would still have the bow? seems like with a shallow tank 3/4" would be fine but what the heck to i know?
better be face than sorry. I bet there is a calculator out there some where that would tell you how think you have to do with a a brace.

OP
OP
Louiemiller9

Louiemiller9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you search R2R there are a few threads on witch weld on to use for what.

I am no excerpt on tank building in fact i have never build one. but I would suggest getting clarity for the "experts" if Euro bracing or a few braced would do the job.
I wounder after you bond it if it would still have the bow? seems like with a shallow tank 3/4" would be fine but what the heck to i know?
better be face than sorry. I bet there is a calculator out there some where that would tell you how think you have to do with a a brace.
I agree with you... I’ll see if some experts can help me out. Thanks!

OP
OP
Louiemiller9

Louiemiller9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I am planning on having a mostly fish based tank but am looking for hardy corals that I don’t have to worry about fish eating... I know it’s easier said than done but anyone have any ideas?

OP
OP
Louiemiller9

Louiemiller9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive project! What lights are you planning & what style of drain / overflow?
I’m planning on running 3 AI prime 16hds... as for overflow I’m planning on running 1 overflow drain 1 standard drain and the return sitting behind a 1/4 in acrylic box at the backside of the tank..hoping I can keep the back flush... running into a 200g Rubbermaid stock tank. Trying to go more traditional with live rock as my filtration... thoughts?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back