How hard is it to make a reef pi

flyline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been reading threads on making a reef pi I was just wondering how hard they are to make? Let me first say I have no electrical nor computer back ground that is why I’m wondering if this is something that would be better left to people that are familiar with that stuff. I have never had a controller before but I see how they would make some things more easy and convenient. I just don’t want to waste money on buying one if I can make my own but after reading the threads it seems like this might be something way out of my wheelhouse. Thanks

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been reading threads on making a reef pi I was just wondering how hard they are to make? Let me first say I have no electrical nor computer back ground that is why I’m wondering if this is something that would be better left to people that are familiar with that stuff. I have never had a controller before but I see how they would make some things more easy and convenient. I just don’t want to waste money on buying one if I can make my own but after reading the threads it seems like this might be something way out of my wheelhouse. Thanks
I wonder if someone can make one for you to your specifications? At a reasonable price, I'm leaning toward one.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A controller is not a must for reef keeping. It can be little helpful for certain things, but one can always run a tank without them or have something in between a full blown controller and completely manual (semi automatic things)
reef-pi is not the easiest thing to build as it involves little bit of fabrication (housing), electronics (soldering, ) and little bit of software configuration (not programming, but some amount of command line foo), but if you have time and want to learn some of this and build a thing like most DIY or hobby(in essence ) you should be able to do it. There are folks who have never played with these things before and have made reef-pi controller , almost all of them took some time and went through some hurdles. But I can recall probably only one who has not been able to get it working at all. Right expectations are key (learning time, and the fact that it’s a hobby project so it won’t be as quick and drop in place solution, your enjoyment during the build process is a key aspect)

Now that said, remember reef-pi is also available as prefabricated board or intermediate hats from couple of other reefer (pico board from blue acro , and michale lane, jonathon trout et al HATs) that can significantly remove that burden(and time involved).

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wondered the same thing on how hard it would be to build one.. then I am reminded by my wife that I'm never gentle on this and I break everything I touch.
I'm even scared to buy one already built and setup.

Guess I will stay with my non automated system.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if someone can make one for you to your specifications? At a reasonable price, I'm leaning toward one.
This is certainly possible , but estimating the time involved it will be costlier than with commercial controllers. But again, this gives certain customizability and if you are looking for that sorts of thing, or building it at scale that it works out ..

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wondered the same thing on how hard it would be to build one.. then I am reminded by my wife that I'm never gentle on this and I break everything I touch.
I'm even scared to buy one already built and setup.

Guess I will stay with my non automated system.
If you are happy with your system and not into tech sort of things , it’s better to keep it as it is

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are happy with your system and not into tech sort of things , it’s better to keep it as it is
Simple is the best.. I just bought a doser from the LFS that is moving locations. Just wondering how a $10 hunk of equipment is going to confuse and make me mad.. [emoji23]

Soon as I try to figure it out, it's going to be like a caveman beating a stuck on a rock

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple is the best.. I just bought a doser from the LFS that is moving locations. Just wondering how a $10 hunk of equipment is going to confuse and make me mad.. [emoji23]

Soon as I try to figure it out, it's going to be like a caveman beating a stuck on a rock
I restarted on 10/2017, wish I'd started with a programmable dosing pumps at first. I bought separate pumps plus timer for each. Cost me more. Bummer

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I restarted on 10/2017, wish I'd started with a programmable dosing pumps at first. I bought separate pumps plus timer for each. Cost me more. Bummer
I have always been scared that I'm going to kill my tank, still am actually.
I am doing a water change in the next 20 min, record all my levels, wait two days and record them readings to figure out want I need to dose every day.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to attempt this endeavor myself at one point just based on cost alone. It’s just going to be to convenient to have things automated. I’m pretty much in the same boat as far experience.

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back