How hard is it to make a screen lid

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made tops with kits from Lowes and Home depot. 12 feet of them. The kits Home Depot has have better corners. I got the screening from BRS.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has a glass lid (I assume it's better to have a screen for light penetration I'd like to hear opinions on that if you have one) but onto the original question how hard is it to build a screen that doesn't look like a guy with very limited DIY skills built it

I would go to Home Depot and buy egg crate ceiling panels. They come in 2'x4' sheets. They are easy to cut using a simple wire cutter. Cut to size and place on top.

This is an example. I'm not suggesting you purchase it here. Just wanted you to see what I was writing about.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've tried just about all the kits, polycarbonate high end ones and diy and the one I like best is the DD Jumpguard kit.

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use aluminum window framing from Lowe’s. 1/8th cleqr screen mesh from BRS. And 3d print outs of the feed doors, light stand cut outs and cord cut outs from @Dierks here on reef2reef
Do you have a file for that feeding cutout? One of those would make my life so much easier.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a file for that feeding cutout? One of those would make my life so much easier.
@Dierks did all the 3d printing for me. My first attempt at a feed door, involved a few extra corners. It was terribly flimsy.
We have a 3D print archive here on reef2reef. There’s a bunch of helpful aquarium related Files for print there.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have access to a table saw or a router table, you can make you own out of 1.5" strips of 6mm acrylic, mosquito netting, and screen spline.

IMG_20180518_125413.jpg

It's really easy if your top is all 90 degree corners, but with acrylic you can make custom cuts around anything you have protruding from the top. My return is over the back. So I used a hole saw to cut around it.

IMG_20180518_125532.jpg

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting cost for a DIY on a tank we spend so much money on isn't worth it to me. It's a very visible piece.
Agreed. I’m planning to buy from Octo aquatics simply because they are beautifully crafted.

OP
OP
TinyWood

TinyWood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for everything guys.

Couple quick additional info I should have included yes it is a nano 10g and yes dog hair is a concern not much but its there

o-townFLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$11 total for my DIY cover

30E271B1-1A55-4BB8-9590-1EA88CA05F1A.jpeg

NorthSeaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I have used glass tops in the past without issue, as long as I cleaned the glass regularly, as you indicated.

My current tank is free standing (not against a wall) and everything, including the sump, is in the stand. I went with a sump that is covered to keep the moisture levels down in the stand, especially since I have the electrical equipment in the same stand.
IMG_0501.jpeg

I can report that the skimmer alone can provide sufficient gas exchange. In the winter when the house is colder, I use the glass tops to cut down on evaporation into the very dry home environment. However, in the summer with the house warmer, I switch to the screens to help keep the tank cool through increased evaporation and air flow over the tank.

Conclusion is that you can use either solution to cover your display adequately. As to cost, I would say that the screening kits are significantly less than the cost of a glass top, especially as you get into larger tanks.
Do you have any corals In your tank with a glass cover?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really, really wanted to leave my tank open top. Fish jump. I had to cover it.

I've got a fairly uniquesetup, and part of the attraction is the low height, rimless, high light, and 'bar' all the way 'round. An aluminum window screen just wasn't going to work.

#cromag27 , or Octo Aquatics, built me a beautiful screen top. Cheap? No, but man, it looks great.

FullTop.jpg

BugXprt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes time to measure for perfect fit, trial and error, when you cut, it cuts some off, over or under, I used a handheld drywall saw with metal cutting blade and some clamps, the dremil was bad, then I also have a rotary sander for a straight smooth cut. 7/16 better. Red sea has a kit, BRS, and marinedepot has the clear netting too. Also had to work around large areas to reinforce, the screen want to pull in upon itself. Reinforce large areas. I sprayed with flex seal after

9F68F4AD-A8D6-4E15-8571-423A00783ECC.jpeg B2377815-4B93-48E0-83B6-20B7D436B1C7.jpeg 69DC3E62-7BF9-4AF1-8CA8-F3022A481374.jpeg

BugXprt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you have to remember the huge loss of water to evaporation, you can cool a tank better if you have a fan blowing over top if your tank is running hot. I did that when I had metal Halide lights and no room for chiller, but remember to add fresh water.

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently redid mine. It's a screen door rebuild kit as others mentioned above. I spent $60 but that included a new hacksaw, blades and spline tool.
Tip: When doing this, do not stretch the material tight before installing the rubber spline. Mine made the frame warp because it has nothing to keep the frame in place.

IMG_3148.jpg IMG_3149.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 33.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back