How has Covid affected your tanks?

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already worked from home, wife and I are empty nesters and our ideal night is just being at home. No longer always out for the kids etc.

So covid didn't really affect me very much on the daily. It was more like less visits from friends and family type stuff.

I also live in Florida, so it also didn't get super crazy here in terms of response. Never had trouble getting anything I wanted.

Upvote 0

stevejar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has never been better since i converted to full work from home. Just started a fluval 13.5 on the home office desk because having time for maintenance isnt an issue anymore and needed a mini reef to look at for the 9 hours I cant see the main tank.

Upvote 0

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still waiting for the retirement tank that was supposed to be built last August.

No change in my current tanks since I stuck to the same maintenance schedule. Did make it easier to get livestock delivered when I was home every day.

Upvote 0

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a brief stretch of partial work from home time in spring of 2020. During that time I converted my tank from FOWLR to mixed reef so I guess it was helpful, but it made it harder to want to go back to full time at work.

Upvote 0

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A positive impact is that It gave me the time to start my first sw tank. I have no idea the cost of stuff pre covid but I know shipping in general was fairly cheap so I would say the negative impact is that the price of stuff has gone up and added to that so has shipping. Actually I think shipping has gone up more than the actual cost of items.

Upvote 0

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Covid created my tanks.
Being a nurse & working 50 - 70 hours a week since the beginning of the pandemic; being understaffed, under protected, and underpaid was taking a HUGE toll on my mental health.
So, I started my first tank (in 15 years) 4 months into it; everyone else working from home while I was working 2 jobs still.

My tanks have multiplied!
I'm up to 3 at home and 1 at work.
Without my tanks as my mental sanctuary, I don't know how else I would have made it through the last 2 years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Covid created my tanks.
Being a nurse & working 50 - 70 hours a week since the beginning of the pandemic; being understaffed, under protected, and underpaid was taking a HUGE toll on my mental health.
So, I started my fist tank 4 months into it; everyone else working from home while I was working 2 jobs still.

My tanks have multiplied!
I'm up to 3 at home and 1 at work.
Without my tanks as my mental sanctuary, I don't know how else I would have made it through the last 2 years.
Well said! :)

Upvote 0

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no? lol. Yes, because I had the time to really dissect every aspect of my tank and solve or manage issues. I managed to find a way to simplify my methods and therefore my tank has succeeded.... No, because this also meant more free time to tweak things that didn't need tweaking.

Upvote 0

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pre covid I was doing great. When that hit a ton of my accounts either closed or scaled way way back which impacts my income. Had to sell everything and I mean everything. Now things are much better and Im back in the game

Upvote 0

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing has changed from before or after covid. Wife and I have both worked from home for over 10yrs, it's more so how the tank has affected me. I would've gone legit crazy during the **** show lockdowns.

Upvote 0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank-flu also resulted in a new larger tank upgrade. I think that is why they call them booster shots.

Upvote 0

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think having COVID was the final straw that started my dino issue. Right before I caught COVID in January I had a fish pass and re-homed another that was not working out. I then caught COVID, cut back on feeding and maintenance for two weeks, and within two days my Phosphates had bottomed out and Nitrates were getting close.

Things are bouncing back now thanks to UV and grabbing the wheel with both hands, but it's been a stressful two months.

For freshwater being out of work for three months (work for schools) was nice. Let me get my shrimp tanks extra attention and some upgrades for them.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My fish are fully vaccinated with Boosters.

LOL- Putting jokes to the side, I am considered essential worker and Never had time off, so was life/tank as usual. What impact I did see was the sudden rise in shipping costs and delays, Increase in livestock prices not to mention a Hawaii ban which imposed a further impact

Upvote 0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back