How have you beat your system blues-and become a Lifer- Own Your Tank- Dont Let It Own You

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a ton of situations surrounding our systems that get folks "down and out" within our hobby. Matenience issues, upgrades, sustianability, total wipe-out swings, etc. The list goes on. There are thousands of hobbiests out there that have all looked upon these trials within the hobby-as you may be now-and concord such problems. There are easier/cheaper ways of doing things that have helped many of folk continue with the enjoyment of their systems rather than lets say-"dread WC day"rofl.

Maybe some that have learned ways to make their lives easier with their system/systems can share and help pave the way with their creative ways of getting around obsticles for others to use in making life a little easier.

Usually a lot of folks will buy equiptment in the wrong order due to expenses and in the end run into an obsticle quickly down the road that they feel they cant get around. Good examples are ato, reactors, test kits, etc. You cant get around the fact that all these items are huge on making life a lil easier and maybe some peeps have addvice on lets say easier/cheaper ways of going about some of them(face it some you just have to pony up and get in the end for ultimate success in owning your system rather than the other way around).

My WC has evolved from-having to shut the system down, 2 buckets, a plate, a pitcher, and an easy 1/2hr of labor-to a running system, 2 buckets, 2 hoses, 1 small cheap pump, and an easy 3-5minute wc for a "under $20 upgrade" that has made a huge effect in the freaquency of wc and the ultimate health of the system. It also becomes more automadid as time goes on. Soon I hope for a set and forget system. Thats what you do-take others ideas and run with them.

I have also found cheap ato solutions with "gravity fed" just look into the problems that can occure and work with them(ex. ammount of water in reseviour, etc)

No reactor-tired of forking out the doe for suppliments-I know lots of folks that use baking soda(cooked and un-cooked) along with epsolm salt for cheap additives(dooooooooo your resaerch here-it is a dangerous fine line while dosing a tank)

As far as having a spike/or other issue wipe out your system and having to decide if you can handle starting livestock over...Well there is an easy fix for this. Become involved with your local hobbiest community. Become a lil more fruguel with your pieces. Share and be generous. That is mosts ultimate goal in the hobby anyways-intank propagation-by breeding and fragging while helping sustain and save our reefs. Generousity is contagous in most cases. Those you share with will inturn share 10 folds with you in a case of emergancy or devestation of livestock. Remember when you 1st started and how cool it was to have 3(or even 1)new frag to put in the system. Make someones day-the payoff could be huge in the end. After my 40 crash-I was fully stocked in the 90 upgrade within months. Pay It Forward. Im a generous person in general but it has hit new bounds to hobbiests due to the simple fact of the generousity I was shown when starting.

So what are a few ways you have conquered this hobby in "owning your tank rather than letting it own you"

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back