How high can fish jump?

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if anyone knows or has a guess about how high fish can jump?

I have several fish in my tank that are known to be jumpers. I am considering putting a wooden canopy on the tank to block out the light spill into the living room. The canopy will be between 8 to 10 inches higher than the water level. I was thinking that with this extra height I might be able to ditch having lids on the tank because it would be too high for jumpers to get out...

What do you think? I have a melanurus wrasse, a couple gobies, and a couple jawfish. TIA

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat control is going to be the big issue with a fully enclosed hood. Also I’ve had a 5” clown bounce off the wall a good 2 ft above the tank And splash back in. Wrasses can go much further as evidenced by many desiccated corpses I have experienced.

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat control is going to be the big issue with a fully enclosed hood. Also I’ve had a 5” clown bounce off the wall a good 2 ft above the tank And splash back in. Wrasses can go much further as evidenced by many desiccated corpses I have experienced.
Oh wow, I've grossly underestimated their abilities!

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
High enough.

I once came home to a fish in a tank next to the tank it was originally in. It was a little 10g on the floor next to a 125. The luck in hitting that tank was pretty incredible.

I figured that was one of the only fish to ever experience the falling sensation and living to tell his friends about it. He was totally chill...just went for a little flight.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a great white can jump all the way out of the water you know little fish can jump pretty high, especially if they get a swimming start.

adamf83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, I've grossly underestimated their abilities!
I’ll second that.... my clowns like to play. The big one propelled/helped the smaller one out of the tank, across the top of the lid and made it 4ft to the floor where I nearly stepped on it when I was investigating the noise. Scooped it up, put him back in the tank and thankfully he was fine.

Don’t underestimate them....

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 29 gallon petco tank for a QT, the really tall kind, and i drained it to the bottom and was moving an orangeback fairy wrasse and that dude flew out of the tank as i was trying to catch him and easily cleared it plus a couple feet. it was impressive

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg, good stuff. I’m always expecting people to call BS on my claims! Glad theres proof that I’m not making this up! This almost deserves its own thread as the Fish Olympics.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have several fish in my tank that are known to be jumpers. I am considering putting a wooden canopy on the tank to block out the light spill into the living room. The canopy will be between 8 to 10 inches higher than the water level. I was thinking that with this extra height I might be able to ditch having lids on the tank because it would be too high for jumpers to get out...

What do you think? I have a melanurus wrasse, a couple gobies, and a couple jawfish. TIA
The 8 to 10 inches you mention should be more than enough to keep fish from carpet surfing. If you were keeping something larger in your tank like say a mahi-mahi, marlin, etc. :) then I would go with a lid to be safe but most fish we keep in an aquarium aren’t big enough (enough muscle) or not a fish that naturally jumps for them to clear that height. I guess it could be possible if the fish was big enough and jumped at the perfect angle with enough force but that would be very rare if having to clear a 10 inch wall.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say how high they can jump, but as a testament to the power behind their fins.

I had a little flame hawkfish, maybe 1.5 inches long, who would periodically attempt to leap from the tank. This little fish impacted the lid, which is a 23"x13" piece of 1/4" glass hard enough to sound like a bird hitting a window.

I'm honestly shocked that fish didn't kill itself doing that.

MeMyFishandI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fresh water fish leap out of the bucket it was in, fly a good four feet just to slap my then ten year old daughter in face. Daughter was traumatized, I couldn't stop laughing.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a similar setup and use glass lids. Ignoring the debate about whether or not glass lids are a good idea — plenty of threads on that. Besides protecting your fish, it also reduces the humidity and risk of condensation on your lights. My canopy is open on the back side so I have some air circulation that helps with keeping the canopy temp down and also moisture etc.

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG. These stories are some for the books. Especially the fish biting someone’s eyeball. What in the world!? Haha. The unknown dangers of reefing....

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back