How i can make Phytoplankton from 0

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you got me thinking, because I am growing to feed. So the more in the mix the better. But if I was going to start from scratch with NSW. I would filter the water with a 10µ to 20µ sieve which would take care of probably most if not all of your zooplankton. Then you could scope and separate some strains if you wanted to take it a step further.
Yes, good idea, I think that micron filtering may be able to solve the issue. Nannochloropsis cells are 2-4um, so it may be worth even going down to using a 5um filter to make sure larger cells will not get through... I think that other phyto are similarly sized.

OP
OP
A

Abdelrazak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this powder can be work or i need live phantoplakton

Attachments

• 17165405981816102670178280934174.jpg
    17165405981816102670178280934174.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 9

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's not running a lab needing a specific strain and even labs get contaminated. Considering his remoteness. Why not just start with salt mixed left in the sun plus nutrients? It's literally free and if it doesn't work then seeking lab grade might be the only option although rather costly. Key is having several batches started at different intervals because they may and likely will crash.

I'm assuming this is to feed corals and not rotifers. Latter I know nothing about.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, good idea, I think that micron filtering may be able to solve the issue. Nannochloropsis cells are 2-4um, so it may be worth even going down to using a 5um filter to make sure larger cells will not get through... I think that other phyto are similarly sized.
Ah, yeah, TangerineSpeedo covered most of what I would have replied - assuming a noteworthy amount of contamination, a sieve of 20 microns or less should get rid of most things that would eat the phyto while leaving most useful types of phyto; there are types of phyto (notably dinoflagellates, which aren't typically useful for feeding at this point anyway) which are substantially larger, but the culture would be fine without them.

You can then let the dominant phyto take over, or you can hand-filter (see below) to get pure strains.

To get a pure culture, you can do a 10-15 micron sieve, then take a tiny pipette, a decent microscope, and a few different small containers and hand-separate any phytos in the culture into their own containers.

It would take quite a while, but you can get your own pure strains that way by moving mostly one strain to one container, then intentionally removing just the other strains that traveled over with it to their own containers.

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy some live plankton Lfs or online get a plastic bottle say 2 litres or whatever you want to use. Put some bleach in it and warm water and wash it out then rinse 2 or 3 times with fresh water. You also need a rigid bit of plastic pipe fulll length of your bottle this needs bleached also. Put quarter of the live plankton in the bottle and three quarters salt at a salinity of 1.019 and a cap full of fertilizer I use natural seaweed . You will need a light to shine at the bottle I don’t use one I just sit it next to the window. You will see it get greener and greener as time goes on should be ready to harvest on day 12
Keep stored in the fridge
4 to 6 weeks shelf

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy some live plankton Lfs or online get a plastic bottle say 2 litres or whatever you want to use. Put some bleach in it and warm water and wash it out then rinse 2 or 3 times with fresh water. You also need a rigid bit of plastic pipe fulll length of your bottle this needs bleached also. Put quarter of the live plankton in the bottle and three quarters salt at a salinity of 1.019 and a cap full of fertilizer I use natural seaweed . You will need a light to shine at the bottle I don’t use one I just sit it next to the window. You will see it get greener and greener as time goes on should be ready to harvest on day 12
4 to 6 weeks shelf l
4 to 6 weeks shelf life
IMG_0941.jpeg
Don't you need aeration?

OP
OP
A

Abdelrazak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back