How I would start a new tank

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you mention that. I had an idea to write a story from the perspective of a parasite. The plot didn't get to far in my head because parasites aren't that exciting, expressive or intelligent. They don't curse, drink, smoke or date. I am not even sure if there are girl and guy parasites. But I am working on it. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I dunno. I’ve met a few, particularly at bars.
Taylor Swift Yes GIF

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out here in California our governor is supposedly considering providing unemployment benefits to workers who are unemployed while picketing for higher wages and benefits.

Modern folks keep telling us that our gender and pronouns are fluid and likely just vestiges from our cave lifestyles of the previous generation.

So perhaps -?
You can write a science fiction book about unemployed parasites picketing for higher unemployment benefits because working doesn’t make them feel accepted in society.

Maybe they can be threatened by a catastrophic hurricane like the one that they named Hilary who is scheduled to dump “a year’s worth of rain” this weekend.

The forecast for the end, and

What ever you write I would be happy to have you dedicate your book to me, I know that is a big decision but I would accept that responsibility if you must?

Real world my daughter just called to say she is in town and we’re going to have lunch together. Get well Paul B. I do hope you write another book. The world is shy for great wit and humor and literature nowadays.
I sit back and watch in disbelief at whats happening in the states and especially Ca....you people have really lost the plot...imo "woke" should go back to sleep

Rhetoric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty good read thanks for sharing your experience. I've got a hang up with "industry" these days. The loudest voice in the room is always MARKETING and SALES. The internet is full of individuals that fell for it, resell it as truth, and stand on top of the hill saying it's the right way because it's supported everywhere.

We need louder voices in this industry that aren't sponsored individuals. Even worse are the individuals that are doing the marketing for free and don't even know it.

"Buy more animals" - the most marketed idea in this hobby

"Please wait 6 months and clean manually before buying anything" - small one liner in a thread of 50 posts.

Scubadoo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@paul, I think dry rock craze and NSA thing sorta set the hobby back a few years…
(“art” vs function)
Dry Rock absolutely has its place/value, but to your point: it sells a lot of cultured pods and bottled bacteria…

secondly the rise of the “wall to wall SPS stick tank” and the “bug battle” threads got folks mortified about each and every unidentified bug that shows up…
(the shear volume of “good guy or bad guy” threads is amazing!!!

I can’t imagine the newb of today with ole skool Marshall or Tonga rock…heck they would suffer PTSD if they witnessed all the assorted “crawlies” and pods that showed up for months afterwards

IMO someone is better off buying a pound or two of real bonified Gulf rock than ordering bottle after bottle of bacterial solutions… (place new rock in a BB tanks, pull off crabs, worms, isopods, rinse/repeat for 1-2 months…)
What do you mean by BB tank?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A BB tank means Bare Bottom, or glass. I personally don't like the look of that type of tank and feel it is wasting a lot of real estate that could be growing bacteria and pods.

It was Robert Straughn, "The Father of Salt Water Fish Keeping" in the 50s that "discovered" undergravel filters in salt water. He didn't understand the role bacteria play in tanks so used that filter as a mechanical filter and cleaned it when it clogged.

That worked then but we didn't have reef, just fish tanks so it wasn't a big deal to remove the gravel for cleaning. I devised the Reverse Undergravel Filter in the 70s and it is still running in my tank with no problems or issues. The longest I had that filter running was 40 years. I lifted the UG plates mostly to see what was growing under there and it was mostly tiny, red feather duster worms, bristle worms and pods.

I think 40 years is to long and I should probably have at least cleaned it a little after maybe 25 years to allow the maximum flow. Mine is now only running 5 years now because I moved here 5 years ago. I put everything in large vats and re assembled it all here myself when I was 70. :D

Your tank has been running 54 years, yes? I'm pretty sure that that's the oldest of any tank in the hobby. You must be doing something right
I think it's 53. I'm not sure but I started it in March 1971 so maybe someone can do the math.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A BB tank means Bare Bottom, or glass. I personally don't like the look of that type of tank and feel it is wasting a lot of real estate that could be growing bacteria and pods.

It was Robert Straughn, "The Father of Salt Water Fish Keeping" in the 50s that "discovered" undergravel filters in salt water. He didn't understand the role bacteria play in tanks so used that filter as a mechanical filter and cleaned it when it clogged.

That worked then but we didn't have reef, just fish tanks so it wasn't a big deal to remove the gravel for cleaning. I devised the Reverse Undergravel Filter in the 70s and it is still running in my tank with no problems or issues. The longest I had that filter running was 40 years. I lifted the UG plates mostly to see what was growing under there and it was mostly tiny, red feather duster worms, bristle worms and pods.

I think 40 years is to long and I should probably have at least cleaned it a little after maybe 25 years to allow the maximum flow. Mine is now only running 5 years now because I moved here 5 years ago. I put everything in large vats and re assembled it all here myself when I was 70. :D

I think it's 53. I'm not sure but I started it in March 1971 so maybe someone can do the math.
I used to think your tank was older than me, but with the new math and revised calculation methods I am not sure now? My brain must be filled with feather duster worms because it's never been cleaned. 53 sounds like a long time but a sea turtle can live that long.
Surfing Swimming GIF by AFV Pets

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Fireclowns almost as old as you. I think they are 33 or 34. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Sea turtles can live that long, but what you pictured is not a sea turtle. Hard to tell with that "rat" on it but I don't think that is even a turtle. I think it's a terrapin. :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back