How I would start a new tank

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even prisons have evolved to having more secure places where humans can get away and hide with opaque walls and stuff. Imagine being scooped up by aliens and kept in a wire cage with a cot and no blanket and a bucket to poop in... compared to having a toilet with a door, a bedroom with covers and a real home. Which seems better?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul you need to get writing after the shoulder op . Good luck
I was actually thinking about writing another book as I learned many things mainly from neurologists since the last book. I have been trying to transfer that knowledge about Humans into fish thoughts to see if it compares or if we are so different that Human and fish biology have no reason to be compared in the same sentence.

I learned a lot about telomeres on our genes which determines the life span of all living things and how that coresponds to our fish and how we screw it up with many of our common practices. These things are very easy and cheap to accomplish even though with our mindset, we like to buy commercial products to fix things that we perceive to be problems when we, in fact are making most of these problems.

I have to figure it out.

I was also thinking (not very hard) about writing a science fiction book because I read a lot of science fiction. But I have a weird sense of humor and not sure if I could pull it off. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Bozburn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with Dry rock last year and have had problem after problem. Ordered 10lbs of live rock from KP aquatics and put it in my display and sump last week and hopefully will start to see the benefits soon. Battling dinos right now.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking about writing another book as I learned many things mainly from neurologists since the last book. I have been trying to transfer that knowledge about Humans into fish thoughts to see if it compares or if we are so different that Human and fish biology have no reason to be compared in the same sentence.

I learned a lot about telomeres on our genes which determines the life span of all living things and how that coresponds to our fish and how we screw it up with many of our common practices. These things are very easy and cheap to accomplish even though with our mindset, we like to buy commercial products to fix things that we perceive to be problems when we, in fact are making most of these problems.

I have to figure it out.

I was also thinking (not very hard) about writing a science fiction book because I read a lot of science fiction. But I have a weird sense of humor and not sure if I could pull it off. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
We have talked about regrets in life . Write what you enjoy writing then if you win or lose you will have no regrets if I had only wrote that book.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home Depot elbows don't do it and stress fish immensely unless they were raised in a hardware store.
Just set this QT up yesterday. Observation only, no meds. My thoughts are if the fish starts eating and stays healthy for 30 days or so I'm comfortable moving it to my display. I added mature live rock that even has some bristle worms in it and aiptasia along with some xenia. I'm working on getting him eating. It was picking at some black worms already.
20230815_191044.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

exnisstech, that tank is much better than almost all the tanks I see setup for that. I think I would invert that flower pot on it's top so the fish can get inside and be out of sight. I think he would like that. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Write what you enjoy writing then if you win or lose you will have no regrets if I had only wrote that book.
My main "problem" is that fish are just one of my hobbies. I do very little to my tank because it runs itself. As you know, I don't have to quarantine, observe, medicate or any of that stuff because they are totally immune which is something many people can't grasp and just think I am either lying or delusional. I am old enough that I don't have to care about that.

I do a lot of building and inventing and as a matter of fact am on here now because I am waiting for the paint to dry on one of my projects.

This 4' drawer will go under one of my garage work benches. My friends make fun of me because from early morning, after my 6:00 am walks I am usually in my workshop/man cave building or inventing or experimenting with something.

I have no more room for shelves or drawers which is why I removed old drawers that I built many years ago and will replace them with this one. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

IMG_1462.JPG

I have to many hobbies and wish I didn't have to sleep which I am very bad at. I am also figuring how I am going to build so many projects I have started using only one arm. :anguished-face:

I also have 4 more Steam Punk items that I wish I could move out. 3 of them are to big for a normal house but they are taking up a lot of room that I need for other things.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main "problem" is that fish are just one of my hobbies. I do very little to my tank because it runs itself. As you know, I don't have to quarantine, observe, medicate or any of that stuff because they are totally immune which is something many people can't grasp and just think I am either lying or delusional. I am old enough that I don't have to care about that.

I do a lot of building and inventing and as a matter of fact am on here now because I am waiting for the paint to dry on one of my projects.

This 4' drawer will go under one of my garage work benches. My friends make fun of me because from early morning, after my 6:00 am walks I am usually in my workshop/man cave building or inventing or experimenting with something.

I have no more room for shelves or drawers which is why I removed old drawers that I built many years ago and will replace them with this one. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

IMG_1462.JPG

I have to many hobbies and wish I didn't have to sleep which I am very bad at. I am also figuring how I am going to build so many projects I have started using only one arm. :anguished-face:

I also have 4 more Steam Punk items that I wish I could move out. 3 of them are to big for a normal house but they are taking up a lot of room that I need for other things.
Every man needs a man cave . You keep your self busy which is good for the head . You will have to follow orders from the doctor and WIFE to the letter and don’t rush it . I had a knee op they said at least 8 weeks then went back to work after 4 and no thanks for it . If you do everything correct you should be good to go . No carrying water / Making things / I will just lift this my self . You are going to be bored stupid so one arm typing for you on your new book

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have to figure it out.

I think Sci Fi would be a good fit for your sense of humor.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nman, remember this will be my 33rd surgery so i am used to working using one arm one leg and 9 fingers. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. . . What kind of timeline would you see as a good one? . . .

Just FYI, here's a timeline of one of my systems for refference: Live rock, live sand and some water from an established system on day one, initial fish and easy corals on day two.

I wish I had taken way more photos the first 6 months to document the nuisance algae. The algae would block the wier teeth on the overflows and raise the water in the tank an inch. Literally in one week the nuisance algae growth stopped and most dissappeared over a few more weeks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have to keep building things like this steel movable wall with a fireplace in it. The entire thing is on wheels but it weighs about 800lbs. I needed to move it out for painting and cleaning.

This cool table I just finished a few months ago and it has red LEDs under it

My garage floor. (thats not me)

Bedroom wall and bed

I make my money with this creation. You put in paper and old tools and money and gold come out the other end.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jda, that is of utmost importance and one reason fish in quarantine don't fare very well. Home Depot elbows don't do it and stress fish immensely unless they were raised in a hardware store. If I put a stark white plastic plumbing fitting in my tank, my fish would stay on the other side of the tank for a month.

Fish need, almost before anything else a natural hiding place that is tight enough that the fish feels that a moray eel that he doesn't know you are not keeping with him but he wants to feel safe from it. The hiding places need to be tight and out of sight so we can't see the fish. Even if we look like Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, or his brother Arm Pitt the fish don't want to see us. Remember someone that looked like us captured him and stuck him in a plastic bag, then fed him pellets that he hates.

My tank is 6' long and the fish can traverse the entire tank well hidden from me. I have some fish in there that I may only see once a month if at all. We don't like that but the fish need it.

(This was right after I eliminated invasive sponge and had to remove the rock, then replace it so it grew algae which is now gone) :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

What lights do you run on your tank out of curiosity? It's a color I don't see very often over people's tanks

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are just cheap Chinese LED lights. That is an old picture when I was working on the tank

I just took this 30 seconds ago.

FTS.JPG

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you source your blackworms? In about a month after I get my rock going, I'm hoping to add a couple of clowns and would like to feed them foods with good bacteria from the start.
California Blackworms

… 1lb blackworms, 2 dishpans + cold floor +airstone + water to just cover

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what does one do after they're already one year down the path of starting a tank with CaribSea Life Rock, (NOT ALIVE), and AragAlive sand, (also NOT ALIVE)? I've dosed multiple types of bottled and powdered bacteria, pods, phyto., and added rock from an established FOWLR tank. Have dealt with dinoflagellates three times. Do I just wait it out, or is there some other intervention I should be doing?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back