How long after a water change is best for checking levels?

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have no experience with that light, so I would rather someone with experience of this light give advice. I wouldn't go above 20 percent on the red and green channel. You can crank up the purple channel to match the blue channel. Again though, I am only going from what I know about my setup, which is radions.
Ok cool. And like a few pct every 2-3 days got it. I appreciate it.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool. And like a few pct every 2-3 days got it. I appreciate it.
Just make sure you watch the softies and lps, they will start to retract if the light is to strong, or is being increased to quickly.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple channel I could crank all the way up immediately? or slowly too?
So others don't blast me, lol, I would go up to 30 percent now, and increase 30 percent every couple of days. It will increase par output, but not on the scale of white light. Again, just make sure you are watching your softies and lps as they are teh indicator on whether or not you are going to fast.

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a BRS video at some point of time. Not sure if it was 52 weeks or 5 minute guide series. They have actually suggested to check Calcium and Alk before the change and Magnesium and Phosphate after the change.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So others don't blast me, lol, I would go up to 30 percent now, and increase 30 percent every couple of days. It will increase par output, but not on the scale of white light. Again, just make sure you are watching your softies and lps as they are teh indicator on whether or not you are going to fast.
Sounds good! Thnxs. And to beat a dead horse and get specifics. Where should I top the whites off? 20 pct too or a lil lower, I was told by the big coral shop around here whites being too high is what will “cook my corals”

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! Thnxs. And to beat a dead horse and get specifics. How here should I top the whites off? 20 pct too or a lil lower, I was told by the big coral shop around here whites being too high is what will “cook my corals”
White channels are where you need to be careful as they produce a ton of par. I agree that whites can cook corals. This is kinda where I come back to recommending a par meter, whether you borrow it or rent it. With LED's, I will always recommend using a par meter as the human eye is a very very poor judgement of par, and this is where most reefers get into trouble with leds. 20 percent may be low for white light, but not using a par meter you will just have to watch your corals. I will say after 10 to 15 percent raise of white light over a few weeks or so, I would step back and let your corals adjust for a week or two and see how they are reacting.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White channels are where you need to be careful as they produce a ton of par. I agree that whites can cook corals. This is kinda where I come back to recommending a par meter, whether you borrow it or rent it. With LED's, I will always recommend using a par meter as the human eye is a very very poor judgement of par, and this is where most reefers get into trouble with leds. 20 percent may be low for white light, but not using a par meter you will just have to watch your corals. I will say after 10 to 15 percent raise of white light over a few weeks or so, I would step back and let your corals adjust for a week or two and see how they are reacting.
Might not be a bad idea to pick up a par meter. I have a hook up on tools. And again many thanks!!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that it won't work but I suspect you should be close to 100% on all channels to get enough light for soft corals on a tank that deep.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes really
Most reef LED lights have a great deal more than 46 watts and many of them would require 2 over a 4 foot long tank.
Someone mentioned white punches out the par. You are going to need that punch.

71xfSZzJk5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Current Orbit IC pro 72 watts. One of the weakest lights that some people use.

I use a reefbreeders Photon V2 265 watts over 4 feet.

Reef lights are grow lights for photosynthetic organisms. Brighter is better.

Last edited:

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yep, I currently have 330 watts of light on my 4 foot tank (75g). I run them at 100% blues and no whites. All corals are happy and growing fast! I would say your light isn’t powerful enough for lps and possibly softies, but there’s no way to know unless you have a par meter.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, what you decide to run your lights at is your choice, I can only recommend what to run based on what I run my lights at. :) Par meter.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.. and set your moon lights cycle to match the actual moons cycle identically so that the pull of gravity matches to double down

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I currently have 330 watts of light on my 4 foot tank (75g). I run them at 100% blues and no whites. All corals are happy and growing fast! I would say your light isn’t powerful enough for lps and possibly softies, but there’s no way to know unless you have a par meter.
That is the par rating on the side of my box. All my corals seem to doing well...

2F206030-58A6-4320-A068-7C109BF6E143.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back