How Long Are Your Fleece Rolls Lasting?

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Trigger Platinum 34 on a 100 gallon tank and my rolls last about three weeks. Kinda pricey. Is anyone doing better? How?

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bm and a roll last about 3 mth 220gal mixed reef
20210520_183609.jpg

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 klir 7 on my 300 gallon system run 500 gph thru each and last 3-4 months. I have intergraded the controller to my apex and only have it turn on 4x a day for 10 seconds. This allows the role to catch more stuff and be fully clogged before advancing role

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
About 5-6 weeks - Platinum 26 (8" roll) on a 75g. Not sure how, I have been feeding massive amounts of food to boost Po4 and have 11 fish also.

OP
OP
ubiq

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 klir 7 on my 300 gallon system run 500 gph thru each and last 3-4 months. I have intergraded the controller to my apex and only have it turn on 4x a day for 10 seconds. This allows the role to catch more stuff and be fully clogged before advancing role
Gonna try this, but I'm concerned about resulting water level fluctuations triggering the ATO in error. What's your workaround? Also, I'm kinda new to Apex. How do you set up the timer for the roller? Thanks.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Gonna try this, but I'm concerned about resulting water level fluctuations triggering the ATO in error. What's your workaround? Also, I'm kinda new to Apex. How do you set up the timer for the roller? Thanks.
Wouldn’t it eventually reach some kind of equilibrium? I’m also going to try this, I like the concept. I think a simple timed outlet on the apex (Hydros in my case) could easily set this up. If the mat becomes totally clogged water would just spill over the bypass

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems to have a much different meaning, here in the states!

;)

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It sort of depends on a couple of things but I've seen major differences by how much/often I feed and how much algea is in the tank (newer tank going through the phases). On average through the uglies I'd get about 6 weeks. Now its about 8 weeks. Clarisea 5000. 233g mostly sps.

epicfatigue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get 6months on my system. (Previously I was getting just under a month so I raised it right out of the water. The head pressure allows the roll to capture so much more.
16770517812295246263998413987428.jpg

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Trigger Platinum 39. Always a balancing act between the fleece roller advancing too fast (clean or very little gunk on the roll) vs. not enough and it backing up which causes the ATO in the return chamber to think the water level has dropped. All I can say is that I still haven't found a sweet spot yet. I think I've got my water level about right in the sump...but I continue to have to move the sensor in the roller chamber up/down. It's a very thin line (IMO) between too high and too low. TBH...I end up manually advancing the roller a couple of times a day because I think it's got a little too much gunk on it ....I'd rather do that than have it "use" up an expensive roll.

I will say I go a little high out of caution as I have woken up a few times to 50% of the roll gone because I set it a little too low.

EDIT: One thing I had to do. When assembled my roller sensors didn't have enough slack in the lines leading to the sensors...so I couldn't lower it as far as I wanted without some tension on those lines. Might want to make sure you have enough slack in those small wires running to the sensors.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a Trigger Platinum 39. Always a balancing act between the fleece roller advancing too fast (clean or very little gunk on the roll) vs. not enough and it backing up which causes the ATO in the return chamber to think the water level has dropped. All I can say is that I still haven't found a sweet spot yet. I think I've got my water level about right in the sump...but I continue to have to move the sensor in the roller chamber up/down. It's a very thin line (IMO) between too high and too low. TBH...I end up manually advancing the roller a couple of times a day because I think it's got a little too much gunk on it ....I'd rather do that than have it "use" up an expensive roll.

I will say I go a little high out of caution as I have woken up a few times to 50% of the roll gone because I set it a little too low.

EDIT: One thing I had to do. When assembled my roller sensors didn't have enough slack in the lines leading to the sensors...so I couldn't lower it as far as I wanted without some tension on those lines. Might want to make sure you have enough slack in those small wires running to the sensors.
Trigger Motor/Fleece roller upgrade available

I know this isnt the best option if you've recently purchased but I ran my Platinum sump with fleece roller for 2 years when the gear finally broke. I went on the site a couple weeks ago to order a new gear and to my surprise there was an upgrade available with a new more powerful motor, a brace to hold the fleece roller holders together so the gear doesnt skip (and eventually break teeth off the gear rendering it useless) AND my favorite part is the Digital display with TIMER feature on the new motor.

I installed everything this weekend and skipped using the sensors alltogether. I have the timer run for 10 seconds every 120 minutes. I am already looking to dial it back even further to 4 hours to extend the life of the roll even further.

It's an option

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefmat 500 on my 75g bare bottom QT system which is currently crammed with fish. I get anywhere from 5-8 weeks from a roll.

I have some cheaper rolls coming to test out as $17 is BS for a roll of paper.

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger Motor/Fleece roller upgrade available

I know this isnt the best option if you've recently purchased but I ran my Platinum sump with fleece roller for 2 years when the gear finally broke. I went on the site a couple weeks ago to order a new gear and to my surprise there was an upgrade available with a new more powerful motor, a brace to hold the fleece roller holders together so the gear doesnt skip (and eventually break teeth off the gear rendering it useless) AND my favorite part is the Digital display with TIMER feature on the new motor.

I installed everything this weekend and skipped using the sensors alltogether. I have the timer run for 10 seconds every 120 minutes. I am already looking to dial it back even further to 4 hours to extend the life of the roll even further.

It's an option
OP: Looks like the V2 motor controller has a timer feature on it. Not sure if you want to spend $230 for it. You could easily write a bit of APEX code to turn the outlet the roller is plugged into. I guess you could put the sensor below the water line...set the apex to turn the outlet on for say 30 seconds every X hours...one the outlet comes on...the sensor is below water....triggers the roller...outlet turns off after 30 seconds (or whatever you set). This doesn't solve the problem of the filter backing up and dropping the level since it's a timer and not a sensor...but if you eventually dial in the timing of the apex program you would essentially be preventing it from backing up by running it often enough.

I will likely order this when my current one finally breaks. I just don't like the idea of paying them to essentially fix what I believe is a couple of design flaws like the screws that hold the brackets...and a brace for the brackets. The timer and sensors are "evolution"...the brackets (IMO) should be retrofitted and made avail for free.

Just a little disappointed that the brace (at least) wasn't part of the first version.

epicfatigue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't have this.issue. my roll lasts 6 months when it's empty I take the whole unit out scrub it clean them reinstall It. I just look at it as half yearly maintenance

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back