How long before adding corals?

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only used LR, but even then I've waited 6 months or so for corals. Like I've seen others say, get a couple easy softies that don't mind water that isn't perfect and they will help seed the tank. I've thrown in a xenia colony as they seem to grow like wildfire even in newer tanks.

Even with dry rock, you can add some softies after a few months, but just know that you'll be dealing with the algae phases while trying to enjoy your tank. That parts takes at least a year to stabilize (ish).

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most mushrooms, xenia, kenya tree, zoanthids, leather corals, etc are all pretty hardy and inexpensive. In my first tank I started with a mushroom and some xenia. For this new build I just took a mushroom frag from my old tank and added it to the new build.
Thank you!

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only used LR, but even then I've waited 6 months or so for corals. Like I've seen others say, get a couple easy softies that don't mind water that isn't perfect and they will help seed the tank. I've thrown in a xenia colony as they seem to grow like wildfire even in newer tanks.

Even with dry rock, you can add some softies after a few months, but just know that you'll be dealing with the algae phases while trying to enjoy your tank. That parts takes at least a year to stabilize (ish).
Want do you mean "they will seed the tank"?

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I was wondering how long it would be before adding corals to my tank. I am new to this hobby and currently am setting up my 40 breeder. I have 2 clownfish in a 10g quarantine tank for about a month now. Do I have to quarantine corals? If yes can I keep them in my quarantine tank until I cycle my 40 breeder? Thanks!

These guys add coral day 1 before fish I believe.

They also made a youtube video about it. I think the tank is still going 2 years later.

Neon_Devil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I was wondering how long it would be before adding corals to my tank. I am new to this hobby and currently am setting up my 40 breeder. I have 2 clownfish in a 10g quarantine tank for about a month now. Do I have to quarantine corals? If yes can I keep them in my quarantine tank until I cycle my 40 breeder? Thanks!
I found once I'm able to grow coraline algae my tank is stable enough to grow coral. I've used this thinking for my last two tanks and it's worked pretty well. Your main goal for succes in growing coral is maintaining reef stability.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found once I'm able to grow coraline algae my tank is stable enough to grow coral. I've used this thinking for my last two tanks and it's worked pretty well. Your main goal for succes in growing coral is maintaining reef stability.
Thanks!

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this question on first page but it was never addressed or responded too. This is a HUGE difference on your tanks maturity and readiness.
I'm sorry I didn't see your response before. I just had to go with the dry rock because real live rock was way too expensive.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I didn't see your response before. I just had to go with the dry rock because real live rock was way too expensive.
Thats no problem, just know you are going to have a completely different course now that will be way more challenging in the first year. This is exactly how I set up my 850 gallon system, if I had to do it all over again, I would have invested in a good percentage of "LIVE" rock and skipped a lot of the first years instability and ugly stages. Be prepared for hair algae, diatoms, Dino's and more. You will get through it, its just going to be a tougher path.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats no problem, just know you are going to have a completely different course now that will be way more challenging in the first year. This is exactly how I set up my 850 gallon system, if I had to do it all over again, I would have invested in a good percentage of "LIVE" rock and skipped a lot of the first years instability and ugly stages. Be prepared for hair algae, diatoms, Dino's and more. You will get through it, its just going to be a tougher path.
If I put like a few pieces of live rock (like 2-3) would that help?

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends - I stuck some toadstools and finger leathers in my do it yourself coral quarantine Tupperware weeks not months after cycling it. They are happier than my DT corals! Wouldn’t try that with nema or expensive corals though

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends - I stuck some toadstools and finger leathers in my do it yourself coral quarantine Tupperware weeks not months after cycling it. They are happier than my DT corals! Wouldn’t try that with nema or expensive corals though
Thanks!

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want do you mean "they will seed the tank"?
There are some suggestions that the corals themselves add some of the bacteria and fauna that did the same thing that using Live Rock did back in the day. Since most rock is "dry" or completely devoid of life, it doesn't hurt to add a few softies that don't mind less stable water. Xenias are my favorite that they seemed to thrive in my first 50g when I was still doing everything horribly wrong, lol

SaltySam09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started my tank my LFS told me to put a few softie frags in to help speed up the natural process of the tank. I know a lot of people are against this but it turned out fine for me and the corals I added are doing great.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most mushrooms, xenia, kenya tree, zoanthids, leather corals, etc are all pretty hardy and inexpensive. In my first tank I started with a mushroom and some xenia. For this new build I just took a mushroom frag from my old tank and added it to the new build.
My list exactly. When I set up my 13 gal tank I put in some bottled bacteria and a dozen softies within a week. Nothing died or even looked stressed. Just ensure you don't have any algae or Aiptasia on the plugs. For algae, you can dribble hydrogen peroxide on the plug and that way you avoid the coral. Leave it on for a minute. The coral will be fine out of the water if it stays wet. Look on the local Facebook reef club for cheap corals. Have fun!

Dre619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added corals as soon as my tank was finished cycling. I started with toadstool and xenia corals. Once i saw they were thriving I added a few softies over the course of a couple weeks. Start with hardier corals for sure! I do not QT my corals but some people may advise it.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added corals as soon as my tank was finished cycling. I started with toadstool and xenia corals. Once i saw they were thriving I added a few softies over the course of a couple weeks. Start with hardier corals for sure! I do not QT my corals but some people may advise it.
Thanks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back