How long can a bta be out if water for?

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title kinda explains itself, but I have a bta on a rock that I need to drain the water level below to mortar it to another rock. The mortar cures under water but it can’t be applied under water and it’s best to give it a few minutes to cure, at least in my opinion. So how long do I have to work if the bta has to go above the water level?

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe 3-5 mins max.
Nope, much more than that. you hear about people suspending them to try and get them to let go of a rock. I've had RFAs out of the water maybe 40 minutes? at that point temp becomes my concern. I've had BTAs out for 20 minutes or so.

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easily 2 - 3 hours. I hung my BTA upside down to get it off a rock for hours. It finally drop some tentacles but wouldn't let go. I put it back in the water. Strangely enough, I can't tell that it has lost some tentacles.

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easily 2 - 3 hours. I hung my BTA upside down to get it off a rock for hours. It finally drop some tentacles but wouldn't let go. I put it back in the water. Strangely enough, I can't tell that it has lost some tentacles.
With rbtas an extra powerhead does wonders.

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, much more than that. you hear about people suspending them to try and get them to let go of a rock. I've had RFAs out of the water maybe 40 minutes? at that point temp becomes my concern. I've had BTAs out for 20 minutes or so.

I was rescaping my rock and one of the rocks that I thought was just a rock had a Eva I forgot about on and it was out of water for at least an hour or so. I’m pretty sure it’s still alive but the water is still murky so I can’t tell

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen anemones in tide pools, barely sitting in water after the tide receded. Not BTAs but I’m sure they won’t die or anything.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RBTA are usually out of the water for at least an 1/2 hour whenever I do WC. I do 40-50% WC every 4-6 weeks. I usually take out the rocks (with RBTA) and scrub all the xenia off the rocks before I put them back in the tank. They don't like it each time, but they've been growing for the last 3 yrs.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many exporters and wholesalers ship nems with just enough water to keep them wet.

If you use a spray bottle to keep the nem wet, you can probably go for hours without putting it back into the water.

Clanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI if you have a stuck on nem,turkey baste round the edges working your way in ,worked for me but the loon is back up there after a water change ha

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back