How long can a fish live without food?

Perkthemacha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to go on a vacation for a week and won't be able to feed all my fish. I don't have anyone who can feed them so what do i do?
Will they be okay for 7 days without food?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some people feed every other day and I know some that have said they go every 3 days on larger fish that eat whole fish or larger chunks. Eels may eat once a week or less depending on size just like a snake lol

A simple auto feeder is cheap and will do the job for you while your gone. Even if it feeds a little too much it's better than not feeding at all for 7 days.

Upvote 0

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they can last 7 days, but I dont recommend it. They will start fighting a LOT more.

A simple autofeeder is the best option. Once you get one you will probably end up just leaving it on there.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to go on a vacation for a week and won't be able to feed all my fish. I don't have anyone who can feed them so what do i do?
Will they be okay for 7 days without food?

If they are healthy with good fat stores, then yes. However, hungry fish start to fight.

Can you buy an auto feeder and a feeding ring? They even make some auto feeders to dose very specific amounts.

This is popular cheap one, however I would not use it on a small tank, I would also tape the door and test it a bunch... the door can move and it can dump in too much sometimes. Otherwise it is good

EHEIM Everyday Fish Feeder Programmable Automatic Food Dispenser

This one... you can put exact amount in each square to feed... really nice for small tanks when you don't want to accidently feed too much. The limitation is it only has 14 doses total... so once a day for 14 days or twice a day for 7 days for example. It is kinda like a cheap timer/watch mechanism but it works.

Fish Mate F14 Aquarium Fish Feeder

Both run on batteries. I am sure there are others but these are the ones I am familiar with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally fish can go weeks on end without eating. They are cold-blooded animals and don't have high metabolisms like mammals. I think most healthy fish would be absolutely fine without eating for 7 days. I would probably still get someone to feed them while i was away.

Upvote 0

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with others in that its not really recommended but...... I have had a few situations where i have not been around for 7 days, not by choice and the fish have gone without just fine - If its preventable then yes, definitely use a work around but if the question is can they last that long without any obvious issues then yes, they can.

If you have plenty of time beforehand and go the autofeeder route then get it sooner rather than later - I have had plenty fish refuse pellet foods and the worst thing than cna happen in this situation is you set it up and the food enters to just rot and not be eaten - That will cause worse issues than leaving them without food for the duration.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back