How long can you store an aquarium?

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

How long can you store an aquarium in the garage and the silicone seams still be viable?

Thanks all for your advice

OP
OP
aaron23

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 3 year old+ aquarium, Is having it filled up enough to ease your mind that it won't just pop a panel sometime in the future?

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used older tanks W/O issue. but I would imagine its just as much a dice roll as buying a new tank. just because its new does not guarantee it working correctly. its just a better "chance"
If you really are so worried about it you might just need to forgo the used tank and buy a new one. for your own peace of mind.

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stored a 75gal in my parents garage (not finished, with gravel floor, no insulation, and pest upon pest) for 4 years while I was out of the country. When I got back I cleaned it and filled it up without even thinking about safety (I was young, don't judge...). I had that tank up for 5 years before tearing it down to move across the country. I sold it to a friend who still has it up to this day. It's freshwater now, but still holding water with no silicone repairs.
That tank is 20 years old.

I'm not saying this works every time, though. And I wouldn't dare try it the same way today. Definitely have the seller fill completely with water to prove that there are no immediate leaks and check for any air bubbles in all the joints. Not worth being young and hoping to get lucky.

SciGuy2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let a 15 year old tank sit empty in the garage for 5 years and put it back in service a few months ago. No problems so far. I inspected the seams closely and left it filled outdoors for a few days though.

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does an empty tank sitting in storage for several years somehow get weakened or loose seams/silicone ? I have a tank thats been sitting in storage for 8 years, should I be concerned about using it ? And if so, why ?

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to my wife, I am physically unable to store an aquarium what-so-ever!

But I realize that does not answer your question. If it is a standard, manufacturer made tank with frames intact, I would feel safe for multiple years. A custom tank, or rimless, I would be a little less willing to store unless I knew specifically who had made it, and the quality of their build.

As others have mentioned, doing a leak test before pickup is vital, and maybe watch it for 15-20 minutes. After that, blowouts happen without warning, so you cannot predict them, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Back