How long can you store RODI water?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that there is any time limit on how long you keep it as long as it's in a sealed container. However, the longer it is stored, the more CO2 will dissolve in it, which will lower the pH. Make sure you aerate it before use and possibly add some buffer.

CJ

Vochito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bathroom in my garage with a tub.. I keep my R/O and totes in the tub just incase there was a leak or I forget to turn it off, etc.
The R/O will supposedly make 75 gal. in 24 hours, so I turn it on the moring of my water change. I store the water in a 18 gal plastic tote and throw in a small pump and heater.
Im planning on getting a small wagon to move the water and save my back.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's in a proper container, it could be stored indefinitely. It will need to either be kept circulating, or aerated, before use.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! Thanks. Is a good rule of thumb for areation the same as for mixing fresh salt, aerate for 24 hrs before use?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to aerate it for nearly that long before use (assuming you are providing enough air and circulation). For what are you using the water?

CJ

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you are using it for. We store some RODI as drinking water for just in case scenarios, like to have a couple days of food and water on hand for storms, etc. We've seen pipes burst up here in winter and storms down powerlines leaving people in homes with no heat and no water. With a couple drops of bleach it lasts a long time in a sealed container kept in the dark. I usually rotate out my RODI containers at least every 6 month for the fish tank and have never seen a problem with it. I don't aerate it either, the tank does that quickly.

Depending on the quality of the container (will it leach stuff into the water) and how its stored (in the dark, or in sunlight) I'd think you can keep it for 2 years w/o problem. That said, this is idealized, so I never push that.

Also, I wouldn't aerate for long term storage. That can only leave a way to introduce impurities unless you somehow seal the system.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For drinking water, you may want to skip the DI stage. The DI strips many of the minerals that make water taste good. Also, water run through the DI cartridge is more reactive than the regular water and is somewhat unhealthy for you.

CJ

JJ Ligs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question to add to this one. I know most people say they do not care as long as it is still reading clean, but is there a way to avoid the water stored from getting that smell it gets? It is not bad just reminds me of old man. I use my stored water fairly quick but by the bottom of my bin it starts to get that smell. I was thinking if tossing a bag of carbon in there has anyone done this?

JJ Ligs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I can store it indefinitely it is just the smell that I was trying to find a solution to.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back