How long do you leave your lights off when acclimating new fish?

How long do you leave the lights off when introducing a new fish to your reef?

• I don't turn lights off when acclimating new fish.

Votes: 63 43.4%
  • Less than 1 hour

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • For 1-2 hours

Votes: 29 20.0%
  • For 3-6 hours

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • For 6+ hours

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Overnight

Votes: 28 19.3%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long do you leave the lights off when introducing a new fish to your reef? Do you leave them off overnight or just for a while?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's interesting to me that so far, the majority is overnight, but the 2nd highest option is to not turn the lights out at all. I hadn't expected that!

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you leave the lights off when introducing a new fish to your reef? Do you leave them off overnight or just for a while?
Why bother? Shove me into a new environment and expect me to not explore? Then take away my sight. Nah.

redlinda1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 2 fish yesterday to my tank for the first time, and they are hiding behind a rock. 1 covict damsel and 1 blue damsel. Is this normal? i did not turn the lights off till bedtime. Should one shut the lights when adding new fish

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why bother? Shove me into a new environment and expect me to not explore? Then take away my sight. Nah.
You wouldn’t say that if you were a 2 inch fish going into a tank with 7”+ fish you would think you were being fed. It allows them to hide and find a spot first but that’s why I add my new fish when they are in their sleeping spot with the lights on though

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont buy fish from online/delivery sources, I get them from different LFS's usually 15 min from my home. I've never turned out lights to acclimate fish and never lost a fish

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish are an overnight delivery. I acclimate the water temp of bag in the sump. I then turn the lights off in the qt and add after drip acclimation. They have enough light since it is daytime.
I got an order from Dr. Reef yesterday (Paid extra as the fish were quarantined) which after temp acclimation I checked the salinity of the tank and bag water. Since the salinity matched I added the fish directly to the tank with the lights in feed mode for two hours. Waiting to see the new additions this morning!

CPC Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never turned the lights off. Fish seem to do fine after acclimation. Plus I like to observe them after I put them into the tank and make sure that the fish patrol is not harassing them.

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn’t say that if you were a 2 inch fish going into a tank with 7”+ fish you would think you were being fed. It allows them to hide and find a spot first but that’s why I add my new fish when they are in their sleeping spot with the lights on though
Nope, and still with the lights off how am I to find the hiding spot. I think that were I to add 2 inch fish to 7inch fish, there may not be a 2inch fish when the lights came on. Nope leave em on.

MiniCoco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe one should mirror relatively close to Mother Nature. Have a reasonable ramp up and down period that bookends an 8 to 9 hour day. I also like employing a moon light phase as well as running a refugium light opposite the display tank lighting.

Back