How long does everyone run their skimmer for?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine 24/7, I add the additives in a different "down stream" compartment in my sump. When I feed the tank it pretty much slows bubble production so I don't worry about it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
24/7 as well.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't aware people turned them off, I turn off the return pump from my sump when I feed the tank to keep food etc from being "skimmed". I turn off the skimmer feed pump maybe once a month to clean the skimmer for about five minutes though.

Cube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12hours daily here :) had it running 24/7 for one year but my corals start suffering from too low nutrition. So I have the skimmer on for just 12hours now to allow some nutrition to stay in the water before they're removed. So far, water quality is stable and the tank is super silent.

AcroholicReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12hours daily here :) had it running 24/7 for one year but my corals start suffering from too low nutrition. So I have the skimmer on for just 12hours now to allow some nutrition to stay in the water before they're removed. So far, water quality is stable and the tank is super silent.

A skimmer you never cause the nutrients to be too. What else are you using for nutrient removal? GFO, GAC, vodka dosing, and other methods with strip the nutrients out of the system well before a skimmer will.

I run mine 24/7 and I over skim.

Cube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, maybe it's because I'm not a native speaker, but I'm not sure if I understand what u want to say...
I don't use other methods for nutrient removal, just skimming and water changes. For biological filtration I have 25kg of life rock.

My nitrates have been almost undetectable since I finished cycling. I feed just little and have only a few small fish in my 72g.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, maybe it's because I'm not a native speaker, but I'm not sure if I understand what u want to say...
I don't use other methods for nutrient removal, just skimming and water changes. For biological filtration I have 25kg of life rock.

My nitrates have been almost undetectable since I finished cycling. I feed just little and have only a few small fish in my 72g.

I think what he's saying is that it's very hard to overskim since even the most efficient skimmers only take out about 60% of the VOCs in the water.

CJ

PS- I skim except that I turn it off for about a half hour when feeding phyto or Reef Frenzy

RRaider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I think you can overskim. I noticed a big change for the better in my tank a couple of years ago when I turned the skimmer off so my dad wouldn't have to mess with it while we were out of town on vacation. the colors on my sps all improved dramatically. Every tank is different, the amount we feed, the ability of the tank biofilter to process the intake of nutrients, size and efficiency of the skimmer, water change schedule etc etc all play a role. So imo you can't make hard and fast rules for every system. Some people still don't even use skimmers and have fantastic tanks.

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine for about 17 hours a day also for the nutrition of my corals. i have a reef octopus 150. unless i start to have build up on the glass and what not then i run it full time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back