How long does everyone run their skimmer for?

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my skimmer 24/7 and never turn it off, not even when cleaning out the cup. I hear from time to time people who shut it off daily to feed as they turn off there return pump and powerheads. When fish eat in the wild does the current shut off so they can eat : ) Make your fish swim for the food. Also your foam head will collapse when fed so your not going to skim out the food. As far as overskimming, the only way i see that is if your carbon dosing to much. Your skimmer will just stop skimming if you don't have anything for it to build a foam head. If you are running on and off 12 on 12 off, your orp is going to drop and rise every day, which isn't a good thing. It may be significant for some and not so much for others. All my opinion though!

AJ92124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What results does a skimmer have on ca/alk when dosed closely to the pump? Does it skim some of it? mix it and release it? anybody know?

aquabull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What results does a skimmer have on ca/alk when dosed closely to the pump? Does it skim some of it? mix it and release it? anybody know?

It will pull some out of solution, as well as clog up the skimmer pump a whole lot quicker!

OP
OP
S

Sarathescienceteacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thanks for all the info. I think illl continue to run it 24/7 with the exception when Im dosing some stuff they recommend shutting off the skimmer for 20 min.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my skimmer 24/7 and never turn it off, not even when cleaning out the cup. I hear from time to time people who shut it off daily to feed as they turn off there return pump and powerheads. When fish eat in the wild does the current shut off so they can eat : ) Make your fish swim for the food. Also your foam head will collapse when fed so your not going to skim out the food. As far as overskimming, the only way i see that is if your carbon dosing to much. Your skimmer will just stop skimming if you don't have anything for it to build a foam head. If you are running on and off 12 on 12 off, your orp is going to drop and rise every day, which isn't a good thing. It may be significant for some and not so much for others. All my opinion though!

I actually put my pumps on 100% when I feed my fish. I like them to work for their food!

Phytoplankton doesn't kill the head and is quickly skimmed out. That's why I turn it off when I add phyto.

Also, ORP normally rises and falls each day, normally in direct opposite cycles as your pH. But yes, turning your skimmer off and on can affect this too!

CJ

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back