How long does it take for dead rock to support nitrification?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RobertK
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
The 30 lbs of dry rock was added to my reef tank 10 months ago to replace a bunch of old aiptaisia infested LR. It is in there with all the fish and corals. The fish are fed twice daily. The tank has a DSB, sump, skimmer and refugium but all that will be taken down when I transfer the rocks fish and corals to a temporary 60 gal tank this weekend.
Then just transfer it all over it’s fine! There won’t be any cycle and no reason to worry about anything! Bacteria doesn’t care what box of glass it’s in.. it’s like doing a water change
 
I'm having a tank emergency and need to move everything except the sand (rocks, 9 fish, corals) to a temporary tank ASAP. I replaced all my old LR with dry rock from the LFS 10 months ago. I think it was about 30-40 lbs of dry rock in a 65 gallon system. The tank has a mature DSB so there was no cycling period that I noticed. Do you think the rocks can support nitrification in the tank on their own? Not sure if I need to add additional biological filtration for the temporary tank. Thanks for the help.
Are you talking about moving 9 fish to a 20 gallon tank?
 
Are you talking about moving 9 fish to a 20 gallon tank?

Yes that was a consideration but I've decided against it. I do have a 20 gallon Q tank available if needed, but current plan is to move everyone over to the 60 all at once, or possibly in groups with some but not all of them going into the 20. I still have a few more days to plan this move.
 
Yes that was a consideration but I've decided against it. I do have a 20 gallon Q tank available if needed, but current plan is to move everyone over to the 60 all at once, or possibly in groups with some but not all of them going into the 20. I still have a few more days to plan this move.
Moving everything to the 60 with the live rock, I think you'd be in great shape with very little to worry about.
 
Many people float coarse sponge’s in their sump for a few weeks to use as an instant QT biofilter. Nitrifying bacteria grow rapidly. Also, it takes over 10 ppm total ammonia to kill fish; your rocks would very likely drop the ammonia before it even reached 0.50 ppm IMO.

The rocks had more than enough time to be established. I wouldn’t concern myself with ammonia. You can buy the Seachem ammonia badge, and it will tell you very early if ammonia is building up.

https://a.co/d/567ugJ7
I have a follow up question, I am cycling my new 120 gallon aquarium. I have nothing in there now but live rock, a few pieces of old rock from the old tank. I placed 11 gallons of water from the old tank into the new tank. Should I proceed with putting something else in there to facilitate the cycling. What about adding more bacteria. If I added old rock and water should that not decrease the cycling time.
 
I have a follow up question, I am cycling my new 120 gallon aquarium. I have nothing in there now but live rock, a few pieces of old rock from the old tank. I placed 11 gallons of water from the old tank into the new tank. Should I proceed with putting something else in there to facilitate the cycling. What about adding more bacteria. If I added old rock and water should that not decrease the cycling time.
Using existing rock will help speed up the cycle. Did you add any dry rock or only put live rock in? Did you also use live sand?

If you mixed new dry rock and live rock you’ll have a longer cycle. If you only used live rock and live sand than you’ll have a much quicker cycle. Since the rock is already live, you’ll need to provide a food source for it I.E. a hearty fish.

How long ago did you set this tank up and what do your test kits say. Are you showing nitrates only?
 
Using existing rock will help speed up the cycle. Did you add any dry rock or only put live rock in? Did you also use live sand?

If you mixed new dry rock and live rock you’ll have a longer cycle. If you only used live rock and live sand than you’ll have a much quicker cycle. Since the rock is already live, you’ll need to provide a food source for it I.E. a hearty fish.

How long ago did you set this tank up and what do your test kits say. Are you showing nitrates only?
Lesson, Learned. I went to the pet store to get a small damsel to introduce to the tank to feed it, to assist in cycling. Luckily I tested the water in the tank that the company put in during set up. The Salinity was way off the charts. That upset me that they would sell me water that they did not test. I have live sand, live rock. Live rock from my old tank, live rock I purchased and I place about 11 gallons of water from my old tank into the new tank. Now I am going to have to go back to the store and purchase enough freshwater to bring down the salinity. I have added about 7 gallons of ROI water and that did nothing. Ammonia is at zero. I have not tested nitrates. Calcium using the Imagitarium kit is above 450. Below are picture of the tank. It is much clearer since I took the picture on Friday. I have not tested the Nitrates. I will do that today. We set up the tank on Friday. I will place the damsel in my son's biocube.

image000000 (32).jpeg image000000 (30).jpeg
 
Since everything is live ie sand and rock, you may have a mini cycle but it should be quick if even at all.

It’s always a good thing to test salinity before adding to your tank. Especially if you didn’t make the water! Good catch seeing it and correcting it.

What are you using to test salinity? A refractometer or a hydrometer? Only reason I ask is because when I see a very high reeding I like to double check against a known number. Ie your son’s bio cube or a calibration solution.

The new tank is looking good! Once salinity is set, and you’ve confirmed nitrates you’re cycled!
 
Since everything is live ie sand and rock, you may have a mini cycle but it should be quick if even at all.

It’s always a good thing to test salinity before adding to your tank. Especially if you didn’t make the water! Good catch seeing it and correcting it.

What are you using to test salinity? A refractometer or a hydrometer? Only reason I ask is because when I see a very high reeding I like to double check against a known number. Ie your son’s bio cube or a calibration solution.

The new tank is looking good! Once salinity is set, and you’ve confirmed nitrates you’re cycled!
I use a Coralife Deep Six Hydometer. I used it today to test my 35 gallon biocube that I have given to my son and my old 65 gallon tank that has all of the fish and corals that will gradually be transferred. On the day of the delivery of the new tank, my major focus was on trying to keep my fish and corals from stressing. I had to remove over half of the water from the tank and had to put the big rocks into plastic bins with water because they had anemones on them. My fish were very stressed. All are fine now. Therefore, I asked as many questions as I could about the new tank but was focusing on my stressed fish and corals. I did not think to check the water while they were there. They used a truck and hose to transfer the water. I still have to add rocks to the new tank, but I have a lot in my 65 gallon with corals attached to them. I live to have place for the fish to hide. I have to decide on how to make the tank look beautiful with the rocks.
 
I use a Coralife Deep Six Hydometer. I used it today to test my 35 gallon biocube that I have given to my son and my old 65 gallon tank that has all of the fish and corals that will gradually be transferred. On the day of the delivery of the new tank, my major focus was on trying to keep my fish and corals from stressing. I had to remove over half of the water from the tank and had to put the big rocks into plastic bins with water because they had anemones on them. My fish were very stressed. All are fine now. Therefore, I asked as many questions as I could about the new tank but was focusing on my stressed fish and corals. I did not think to check the water while they were there. They used a truck and hose to transfer the water. I still have to add rocks to the new tank, but I have a lot in my 65 gallon with corals attached to them. I live to have place for the fish to hide. I have to decide on how to make the tank look beautiful with the rocks.
I'm facing the same dilemma. I'm upgrading to a bigger tank, my old tank has lots of rocks with corals encrusted on them but will need more rocks for the new tank. It will be a challenge (hopefully a fun one) making the new tank look nice.
 
I'm facing the same dilemma. I'm upgrading to a bigger tank, my old tank has lots of rocks with corals encrusted on them but will need more rocks for the new tank. It will be a challenge (hopefully a fun one) making the new tank look nice.
Hello what size are you upgrading to? I had to move my old tank to another temporary spot so that they could place my new tank in the permanent location which is where the old tack was sitting. I tried to put as many rocks that I could from the old tank into the new tank to help with cycling. I am also finding out how expensive rocks are. Good luck with your tank. Exciting. Yes, I am not good at aqua scaping.
 
I use a Coralife Deep Six Hydometer. I used it today to test my 35 gallon biocube that I have given to my son and my old 65 gallon tank that has all of the fish and corals that will gradually be transferred. On the day of the delivery of the new tank, my major focus was on trying to keep my fish and corals from stressing. I had to remove over half of the water from the tank and had to put the big rocks into plastic bins with water because they had anemones on them. My fish were very stressed. All are fine now. Therefore, I asked as many questions as I could about the new tank but was focusing on my stressed fish and corals. I did not think to check the water while they were there. They used a truck and hose to transfer the water. I still have to add rocks to the new tank, but I have a lot in my 65 gallon with corals attached to them. I live to have place for the fish to hide. I have to decide on how to make the tank look beautiful with the rocks.
It does sound like you have a good handle on this.

One thing to watch out for with any hydrometer, make sure there are no bobbles sticking to it at all. Bubbles can cause false high readings. I switched to a refractometer because of this a long time ago. I worked in an LFS for a couple years maintaining commercial systems, they required me to use a refractometer and calibrate it weekly. That’s a little overkill for a home system but they work very well.

Aquascaping is one of my favorite parts of this hobby, to me it can be very frustrating and therapeutic at the same time. Once you get it where you like it then it’s relaxing lol.

I just added another 60 lbs of rock to my tank about a month ago. I’m happy with how natural it looks but of course there’s a couple spots I’d like to change.
IMG_3214.jpeg

Keep up the good work!
 
It does sound like you have a good handle on this.

One thing to watch out for with any hydrometer, make sure there are no bobbles sticking to it at all. Bubbles can cause false high readings. I switched to a refractometer because of this a long time ago. I worked in an LFS for a couple years maintaining commercial systems, they required me to use a refractometer and calibrate it weekly. That’s a little overkill for a home system but they work very well.

Aquascaping is one of my favorite parts of this hobby, to me it can be very frustrating and therapeutic at the same time. Once you get it where you like it then it’s relaxing lol.

I just added another 60 lbs of rock to my tank about a month ago. I’m happy with how natural it looks but of course there’s a couple spots I’d like to change.
IMG_3214.jpeg

Keep up the good work!
That is nice!!! Awesome! I like your tank. I will keep everyone posted! as I progress along. I see your anemones. Anemones and bubble corals are my favorite corals.
 
That is nice!!! Awesome! I like your tank. I will keep everyone posted! as I progress along. I see your anemones. Anemones and bubble corals are my favorite corals.
That’s awesome! Check out my build thread if you ever get time. I didn’t intend to have this many anemones. I started with one and it has split like crazy. Last I counted I’m somewhere near 40. Here’s one I just took for fun.
IMG_3339.jpeg
 
That’s awesome! Check out my build thread if you ever get time. I didn’t intend to have this many anemones. I started with one and it has split like crazy. Last I counted I’m somewhere near 40. Here’s one I just took for fun.
IMG_3339.jpeg
WOW!!
 
Hello what size are you upgrading to? I had to move my old tank to another temporary spot so that they could place my new tank in the permanent location which is where the old tack was sitting. I tried to put as many rocks that I could from the old tank into the new tank to help with cycling. I am also finding out how expensive rocks are. Good luck with your tank. Exciting. Yes, I am not good at aqua scaping.
I'm upgrading from a 70 gallon tank to a 110. I had to take the 70 down in a hurry a couple months ago due to an impending crash, and for the last 2 months all my fish, corals and rocks have been in a temporary 60 gallon tank in my kitchen. I've ordered the new 110 but won't have it for a couple more months. The old tank was LPS dominant with moderate lighting, and I have some pretty big LPS colonies that were high up in the tank. The new tank will start out with the same LPS corals but I want to add more light and some SPS, so the large LPS colonies that were high up in my old tank will need to be lower down in the new tank. I will need to get more rock and some sand for the new tank. But most of my rocks already have corals encrusted on them so will have to try to aquascape the new tank with water in the tank, and hopefully without much of a cycle. Not sure how I'll accomplish all of that but will figure it out!

Here's a pic of everything in the temporary 60 gallon tank:
IMG_5841.jpg
 
It does sound like you have a good handle on this.

One thing to watch out for with any hydrometer, make sure there are no bobbles sticking to it at all. Bubbles can cause false high readings. I switched to a refractometer because of this a long time ago. I worked in an LFS for a couple years maintaining commercial systems, they required me to use a refractometer and calibrate it weekly. That’s a little overkill for a home system but they work very well.

Aquascaping is one of my favorite parts of this hobby, to me it can be very frustrating and therapeutic at the same time. Once you get it where you like it then it’s relaxing lol.

I just added another 60 lbs of rock to my tank about a month ago. I’m happy with how natural it looks but of course there’s a couple spots I’d like to change.
IMG_3214.jpeg

Keep up the good work!
Wow that's a lot of rocks! Looks great!!!
 
That’s awesome! Check out my build thread if you ever get time. I didn’t intend to have this many anemones. I started with one and it has split like crazy. Last I counted I’m somewhere near 40. Here’s one I just took for fun.
IMG_3339.jpeg
I was reading your build thread, carb hunting! Lol, I see that I am not the only one who encounters a few challenges. It makes me realize even more that challenges will occur.
 
I'm upgrading from a 70 gallon tank to a 110. I had to take the 70 down in a hurry a couple months ago due to an impending crash, and for the last 2 months all my fish, corals and rocks have been in a temporary 60 gallon tank in my kitchen. I've ordered the new 110 but won't have it for a couple more months. The old tank was LPS dominant with moderate lighting, and I have some pretty big LPS colonies that were high up in the tank. The new tank will start out with the same LPS corals but I want to add more light and some SPS, so the large LPS colonies that were high up in my old tank will need to be lower down in the new tank. I will need to get more rock and some sand for the new tank. But most of my rocks already have corals encrusted on them so will have to try to aquascape the new tank with water in the tank, and hopefully without much of a cycle. Not sure how I'll accomplish all of that but will figure it out!

Here's a pic of everything in the temporary 60 gallon tank:
IMG_5841.jpg
Thanks for sharing I want to add more SPS and LPS corals to my tank. As of now it is anemones, bubble corals, mushrooms, leather coral and I recently purchased two SPS frags. I purchased a plate corals but I could not keep it alive. I have my fish in the old aquarium. I am trying to do a quick cycle. However, I was getting ready to add a damsel to the new tank to assist and the water that the company put in is high in regards to salinity. I wonder how much ROI water I will have to ad to correct it. I will keep you posted on what works with my cycling. I have to figure out how to add a build thread under my name. I realize that sharing my story may help someone else. I am posted a picture of my 65 gallon and my new tank. I cannot wait to transfer but I have to make sure that the water and everything is okay. I will slowly transfer items so that the bacteria can adjust and meet the number of items.

image000000 (5).jpg 1000000891.jpg
 
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing I want to add more SPS and LPS corals to my tank. As of now it is anemones, bubble corals, mushrooms, leather coral and I recently purchased two SPS frags. I purchased a plate corals but I could not keep it alive. I have my fish in the old aquarium. I am trying to do a quick cycle. However, I was getting ready to add a damsel to the new tank to assist and the water that the company put in is high in regards to salinity. I wonder how much ROI water I will have to ad to correct it. I will keep you posted on what works with my cycling. I have to figure out how to add a build thread under my name. I realize that sharing my story may help someone else. I am posted a picture of my 65 gallon and my new tank. I cannot wait to transfer but I have to make sure that the water and everything is okay. I will slowly transfer items so that the bacteria can adjust and meet the number of items.

image000000 (5).jpg 1000000891.jpg
I can't tell for sure from your posts but it sounds like you are purchasing your fresh and salt water from the LFS? If so I would strongly encourage you to purchase a good quality RO/DI unit and a couple of storage tanks for fresh and salt water. I can't imagine running a 120 gallon tank without that!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new