How long for clownfish and anemone to bond?

FurrierTransform

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks, I'd like to get the group's take on how long it takes for a clownfish and an anemone to form a symbiotic relationship. I just recently added a long tentacle anemone and a maroon clownfish (no other significant inhabitants), and the fish hasn't expressed any interest in the anemone. They were new to each other. Both are on the smallish side (maybe 4 cm for the fish and 7 cm for the anemone), so do I need to wait for the anemone to get larger? The tank is a pentagonal/corner tank, 50 gallons.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my previous clownfish would take immediately to an anemone. I am guessing this is a very young clownfish and doesn't know that it's supposed to bond with the anemone.
If it's captive bred rather than wild, it may have no idea what an anemone is :)

It may figure it out eventually, or like mine - never.

Kerinin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took awhile (months), and I believe the reason is that my anemones weren’t healthy. As soon as I got my nitrate levels up and the anemones started looking healthier my two (captive bred) clowns immediately started hanging out in them.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took mine over 2 years. Including every trick I could find on the internet and hundreds in anemone. For all of my trouble they bite me any time my hands in the tank.

chandavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve a pair of clowns 1.5 years in tank. Added a bubble tip 4 months ago ( it’s since split into 4!) and now the female is just starting to show interest by swimming close with occasional touch. Hoping another month or so she‘ll be hosted fully.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back