How long is too long for a toadstool to shed??

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I purchased a real deal weeping willow (it actually weeps!) a bit ago. It opened for roughly five days after adding it to the tank. It's been closed for 12 days now. I also noticed some strange growth on it's skin. Should I be worried? I can't afford to lose this coral (I wouldn't even be able to replace it). I have lots of experience with leathers (my tank is packed with sarcophytons), so my tank environment and such is just fine. I've had leathers shed for a while, but never get such growth on their skin. Should I just keep waiting?

Thanks.

As of today.
IMG_9843.jpg
IMG_9844.jpg

When it first started to 'shed'
IMG_9845.jpg

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like the typically shedding process to me. Looks like possibly scar tissue from bites or something embedded into the tissue? As you likely know, leathers are real sensitive to even small physical disturbances and it doesn't take much to have them close up for extended periods.

I'd scrape a few samples off and look under a strong magnifier to see if it has something like small isopods or the like.

Hunterzane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I purchased a real deal weeping willow (it actually weeps!) a bit ago. It opened for roughly five days after adding it to the tank. It's been closed for 12 days now. I also noticed some strange growth on it's skin. Should I be worried? I can't afford to lose this coral (I wouldn't even be able to replace it). I have lots of experience with leathers (my tank is packed with sarcophytons), so my tank environment and such is just fine. I've had leathers shed for a while, but never get such growth on their skin. Should I just keep waiting?

Thanks.

As of today.
IMG_9843.jpg
IMG_9844.jpg

IMG_9845.jpg
Mine acted like this shortly after we got it home because I couldn't leave the tank alone. It stayed closed on me for 4 days. But haven't had any issues since she's been in her forever spot opens every day like clockwork:) just give it time

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like the typically shedding process to me. Looks like possibly scar tissue from bites or something embedded into the tissue? As you likely know, leathers are real sensitive to even small physical disturbances and it doesn't take much to have them close up for extended periods.

I'd scrape a few samples off and look under a strong magnifier to see if it has something like small isopods or the like.
It doesn't seem to have any living things on it. The growth appears to be very superficial, and only really appeared after it started shedding. The leather does have a waxy appearance on it's stem, but you're right, it's definitely not a typical shedding appearance. Do you think a dip may help?

Also, I've always been a huge fan of your 12g nano reef!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots are very unusual and could be some sort of infection or parasite, could also just be algae/coralline. I would wait and see what it looks like after it sheds and keep an eye on your other sarcos/leathers.

That said, it’s not a weeping willow. Unless you bought it from Jake Adams, it’s just a long polyped toadstool/Sarcophyton (which isn’t bad, it’s still an awesome coral, it’s just not a weeping willow).

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots are very unusual and could be some sort of infection or parasite, could also just be algae/coralline. I would wait and see what it looks like after it sheds and keep an eye on your other sarcos/leathers.

That said, it’s not a weeping willow. Unless you bought it from Jake Adams, it’s just a long polyped toadstool/Sarcophyton (which isn’t bad, it’s still an awesome coral, it’s just not a weeping willow).
Dude it's a weeping willow straight from Taiwan. I purchased it from Reef Raft Canada who knows farmers from Asia. Jake is not the only person on planet earth with a weeping willow.

Mine looks pretty much just like this when it was open.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude it's a weeping willow straight from Taiwan. I purchased it from Reef Raft Canada who knows farmers from Asia. Jake is not the only person on planet earth with a weeping willow.
He is though, he named that particular morph, if it’s not directly lineaged to that coral, it’s not a weeping willow. There are multiple species and morphs of long polyped Sarcophytons, but all true weeping willow can be traced back to one specific specimen (just like the Milka Stylophora, the Idaho Grape, the OG Bounce, the Colorado Sunburst, etc., if it’s not lineaged, can’t be traced back to a specific specimen, or hasn’t reached ubiquity in the hobby, it’s dishonest to call a coral one of those things (if you want to refer to it as a ‘weeping willow’, knock yourself out, but trying to sell it as that or pass it off to other people as that is dishonest). People always defend the name game by claiming it’s useful for identification purposes but then want to play fast and loose with lineage when they think they have a coral that might rare or valuable. It’s objectively not a weeping willow, it just isn’t, but again, that doesn’t mean it’s not a pretty or somewhat rare or valuable coral, it just ain’t a weeping willow.

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still closed. It's not degrading or anything, but it has definitely shrivelled up/shrunk compared to when it was open and happy. Snails crawl on it sometimes, cleaning the film that has grown on the surface.

Attachments

• IMG_8577.jpg
    IMG_8577.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 105

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Still closed. It's not degrading or anything, but it has definitely shrivelled up/shrunk compared to when it was open and happy. Snails crawl on it sometimes, cleaning the film that has grown on the surface.
2-3 weeks not unusual however there is a film and algae on its' surface. Blow surface with a turkey baster and then increase flow a little towards the surface

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-3 weeks not unusual however there is a film and algae on its' surface. Blow surface with a turkey baster and then increase flow a little towards the surface
I've been doing both of those things actually! I can only assume at this point it's a waiting game. Thanks for the input :smiling-face:

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is though, he named that particular morph, if it’s not directly lineaged to that coral, it’s not a weeping willow. There are multiple species and morphs of long polyped Sarcophytons, but all true weeping willow can be traced back to one specific specimen (just like the Milka Stylophora, the Idaho Grape, the OG Bounce, the Colorado Sunburst, etc., if it’s not lineaged, can’t be traced back to a specific specimen, or hasn’t reached ubiquity in the hobby, it’s dishonest to call a coral one of those things (if you want to refer to it as a ‘weeping willow’, knock yourself out, but trying to sell it as that or pass it off to other people as that is dishonest). People always defend the name game by claiming it’s useful for identification purposes but then want to play fast and loose with lineage when they think they have a coral that might rare or valuable. It’s objectively not a weeping willow, it just isn’t, but again, that doesn’t mean it’s not a pretty or somewhat rare or valuable coral, it just ain’t a weeping willow.
I agree with you regarding acroporas etc- but not this. The weeping willow toadstool was around in the hobby and other people had it before him, including me, and that's what we called it. I'm not sure that writing an article about something gives that kind of naming rights. And if I'm reading him correctly, the ones he has now are not his original

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the original post, sarcophytons can be frustrating like this. I have had them stay closed for months- they seem to be able to persist a long time like that. I've actually had the best luck moving them to another tank or a very different situation. I had one 5 year old japanese deepwater that would never open so I fragged it up- all the frags opened fine, oddly. It is possible yours is ticked about the emanations of some of your other softies- so water changes and carbon couldn't hurt.

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the original post, sarcophytons can be frustrating like this. I have had them stay closed for months- they seem to be able to persist a long time like that. I've actually had the best luck moving them to another tank or a very different situation. I had one 5 year old japanese deepwater that would never open so I fragged it up- all the frags opened fine, oddly. It is possible yours is ticked about the emanations of some of your other softies- so water changes and carbon couldn't hurt.
I do regular water changes and run carbon just like you mentioned. All of my other leathers are happy, so I can't see it being a parameter issue. I've had new sarcos close up for a week or two while adjusting, but never anything this long. Perhaps I just need to keep waiting. Appreciate all the help

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks.

As of today.
IMG_9843.jpg
IMG_9844.jpg

IMG_9845.jpg
Put it in super high flow, when I was moving mine around I discovered it would shed way more frequently in lower flow and it would also take longer.

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it in super high flow, when I was moving mine around I discovered it would shed way more frequently in lower flow and it would also take longer.
Try a high flow area
Thank you both for your suggestions. It's been in a fairly high flow area for some time now. Not sure how much more flow I can hit it with.

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipped it in a light iodine bath today. It still holds shape out of water, and oddly enough, is attaching to the plate more. It is definitely still alive, just dormant or something. Hopefully the dip helps it out.

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's skin on the stem is pretty wrinkly and it tips over when snails go on it. Not sure if I should cut it in half at the stem? You think it would trigger it to open? Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8849.jpg
    IMG_8849.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 75
Back