How long is too long to let your tank be….alone?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are a lot of factors that come into play when it comes to allowing your tank to run on auto pilot, with no human intervention.

What type of equipment you have, what type of fail safes you have in place, what type of livestock you have and the special requirements for their care and so on all play a role.

But no matter what plans you have in place or what equipment you have automating “the process” there’s always a chance that something fails. That fact can keep you up at night when you’re away from your reef aquarium.

With that being said, how long is too long, for you personally, to leave your tank alone?

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally, just under 10 days is the ABSOLUTE longest I feel comfortable.
I have a 15 gallon, a bunch of varying corals, Royal Gramma and two clowns. A 5 gallon ATO (used to be 3 and I could only go about a week before it would empty), and an Eheim feeder keep things running smoothly. When I hit that 10th day, my filter floss is EXTREMELY clogged, (could probably get a roller to avoid) so my tank starts filling more to compensate for the lower filter flow... no overflows yet (knock on wood) I typically set up a ring camera directly at the tank and have others in the room that keep an eye on it in case I need to make trip plans...
At the same time... since my tank is on the smaller side... if it crashes, it crashes.... So I try not to let that thought stress me out while I'm gone :)

*Edit, also have a UPS running the pump in case the power goes out, not super concerned about temp (my house runs stupid hot)

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me personally, just under 10 days is the ABSOLUTE longest I feel comfortable.
I have a 15 gallon, a bunch of varying corals, Royal Gramma and two clowns. A 5 gallon ATO (used to be 3 and I could only go about a week before it would empty), and an Eheim feeder keep things running smoothly. When I hit that 10th day, my filter floss is EXTREMELY clogged, (could probably get a roller to avoid) so my tank starts filling more to compensate for the lower filter flow... no overflows yet (knock on wood) I typically set up a ring camera directly at the tank and have others in the room that keep an eye on it in case I need to make trip plans...
At the same time... since my tank is on the smaller side... if it crashes, it crashes.... So I try not to let that thought stress me out while I'm gone :)
Do you have a local friend or family member that can be there quick if something goes south?

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a two year old tank that I am finally more comfortable leaving for 7-10 days.
Only bc my parameters are predictable and I trust my AvastMarine auto feeder.
I wouldn't have gone more than two - three days a year ago.
ALso have a local backup if something popped up to go take care of something or test if needed.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remove the mechanical filtration when I travel. My filter media also clogs in a few days.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a lot of things on auto-pilot so baring any extreme emergencies I'd be comfortable with few weeks.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of factors that come into play when it comes to allowing your tank to run on auto pilot, with no human intervention.

What type of equipment you have, what type of fail safes you have in place, what type of livestock you have and the special requirements for their care and so on all play a role.

But no matter what plans you have in place or what equipment you have automating “the process” there’s always a chance that something fails. That fact can keep you up at night when you’re away from your reef aquarium.

With that being said, how long is too long, for you personally, to leave your tank alone?
I will test drive this question in September when O go out of town for a few days longer than normal. Right now, not more than a day or 2 because I do not have an ATO yet. I will be purchasing one and testing it this summer.

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory my tank could run for 4 weeks without me being there if I topped everything off right before I left. Water changes, dosing and food are all automated.

Even then it could probably go another week before things started dying.

I would never leave it for more than a week though. We also get 3-4 power outages a year and I have to manually fill the generator.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last May went Two weeks. Day one and Day 14 did feed frozen food. Auto Feeders rest of time on my 65 and 120. Was worried about the ATO Running out of water. I did use Plastic wrap to cover the sumps, to slow the evaporation down. Filter Socks were overflowing and skimmers were pretty full. Everything was okay, and through the algae covered glass fish recognized me and were begged for frozen food. BTW, While we were gone the underground electric cable failed, to the meter. Electricity was off several times as they spliced it, then came back and replaced it. Homemade Battery system kept a minimum amount of water flowing.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three days, and I have an Apex. I have five tanks and that is way too much for a person unfamiliar to reef tanks to handle. So vacations are a no go for me usually.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to 2 weeks now that I got a larger ato reservoir and an automatic feeder. I do need to get a dosing pump, but I can raise alk enough to not be a problem until I return.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Tunze 3155
So I looked this one up, and again thank you for the reference. I will be getting this one. You can not go wrong with Tunze for sure. It is more than I wanted to pey, but I do know their products are well worth it.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a local friend or family member that can be there quick if something goes south?
"Local" is relative hahah, girlfriend lives about 40 minutes away, so there are opportunities, luckily her father enjoys fish (mainly freshwater) so I could probably utilize him as a backup if she was with me :)
Good question though!

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I looked this one up, and again thank you for the reference. I will be getting this one. You can not go wrong with Tunze for sure. It is more than I wanted to pey, but I do know their products are well worth it.
They're definitely a little more costly than most. But you get what you pay for. Just keep sure the optical sensor is clean from time to time.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 days is the limiting factor for ATO, I've gone 19-20 days with someone just coming over at day 13-14 and topping up the ato's and that's it.

I've done a month+ with once a week visits from my dad who is into saltwater fish and knows how to keep them alive (best option).

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longest I’ve gone is ten days but could go longer wouldn’t go over 14 days though. Have family near by that could stop in if needed but haven’t had to yet. I go in several week long vacations every year never had any problems yet. Auto feeder and large enough ato that lasts a month without refilling.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back