How long is too long to let your tank be….alone?

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend 5-6 weeks in FL every Jan-Feb so my tank has gone that long without me though I do worry about it while I'm away. Plus my hubby has the travel bug now that we're retired so we take several two week trips during the year in addition to FL.

I have everything as automated as I can with an Apex system and have a camera focused on the tank and another on my basement sump area that I look at every day. Sister-in-law stops in once every week or 10 days to water the plants and she'll refill the auto feeders about mid-way if needed but she isn't comfortable doing anything more. Daughter lives nearby (8 miles) if there were a real emergency I could talk her through some things, but I hope that never happens. I've got safeguards in place and add more as I think of them or get new ideas from R2R or Neptune forums.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly feel comfortable leaving the tank for up to 7 days with 0 intervention based on automation and various types of monitoring (AWC's, automatic pellet feeders, sensors, cameras, etc).

HOWEVER, we have someone that comes over daily to take care of the cats, so I've trained her on my daily frozen cube feeding regime as well. The only thing she doesn't do is provide nori for the tangs and foxface. You can tell they miss it when I get home.

We also have a service crew locally that should there be anything wrong, they can sweep in and do any and all maintenance that is needed.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d have anxiety over 7 days. My tank is low tech, old school.
I admit, I function as a Luddite on a lot of things (especially reefing), but tank automation kept me in it and let me upsize from a 30 gallon aio to now. 50g cube and a 120g over the past 5 years as I travel approx 100 days a year for work.

If you would of asked me about tank controllers back in 2012, I would of had a hardy laugh and followed up with. HARD no :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:. I had a 150g fowlr running on a wet/dry filter back then, you couldn't talk me into anything better!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend 5-6 weeks in FL every Jan-Feb so my tank has gone that long without me though I do worry about it while I'm away. Plus my hubby has the travel bug now that we're retired so we take several two week trips during the year in addition to FL.

I have everything as automated as I can with an Apex system and have a camera focused on the tank and another on my basement sump area that I look at every day. Sister-in-law stops in once every week or 10 days to water the plants and she'll refill the auto feeders about mid-way if needed but she isn't comfortable doing anything more. Daughter lives nearby (8 miles) if there were a real emergency I could talk her through some things, but I hope that never happens. I've got safeguards in place and add more as I think of them or get new ideas from R2R or Neptune forums.
Same, the sump cam, tank cams and leak sensors are a godsend.

My dad is only about 6 miles from me, he can do the upkeep, but I'm not big on him digging around in the sump or pouring ATO jugs into the reservoir (mine are 7 gals) as he will be 84 in May.

I have a solid freshwater friend from my discus days that helps me out when I'm traveling for work or whatever and if I see something funky on the cams he will go look and verify.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit, I function as a Luddite on a lot of things (especially reefing), but tank automation kept me in it and let me upsize from a 30 gallon aio to now. 50g cube and a 120g over the past 5 years as I travel approx 100 days a year for work.

If you would of asked me about tank controllers back in 2012, I would of had a hardy laugh and followed up with. HARD no :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:. I had a 150g fowlr running on a wet/dry filter back then, you couldn't talk me into anything better!
Well I’m itching for an upgrade, been saving and looking at the Waterbox 150.4. Then my daughter got engaged and I almost fell over when my wife told me what it was going to cost. I’m now looking at the Fall of 2025 and may be dipping my toes into automation. Don’t be surprised if I appear out of nowhere to hit you up with questions and suggestions.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m itching for an upgrade, been saving and looking at the Waterbox 150.4. Then my daughter got engaged and I almost fell over when my wife told me what it was going to cost. I’m now looking at the Fall of 2025 and may be dipping my toes into automation. Don’t be surprised if I appear out of nowhere to hit you up with questions and suggestions.
It's worth it, I was running 4 different apex's @ one time (OG Apex jr., two Apex Classics and an A2 Apex). Now I'm down to one classic and one A2. It's not a end all be all, but it makes it easier to deal with the tanks.

The remaining classic will more than likely be a Hydros soon enough, as my desired investment will have 4 digits in front of the decimal point and I need to just crap and get off the pot and buy it but my brain is like your dropping how much on what!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t even leave things alone for a day. While I like to refrain from doing water changes too frequently, there’s always a frag that got knocked over or algae that needs to be scrubbed. I also always have to stay on top of keeping my skimmer pristine, because it has a knack of getting clogged and breaking from time to time, and it’s a hassle getting it back up and running.
Usually when I get back from vacation, I expect at least something to be terribly off, but sometimes I get lucky!

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After two weeks I’m getting pretty nervous even though I have a lot of automation. I have someone coming over every day to feed cats and fish but if something serious would go wrong she would not know how to deal with it.

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 500g FOWLR. I've gone 2 weeks away, could go three. I unplug the protein skimmer but everything else runs normally and I've got a standby generator if we lose power. Auto feeder, auto water topoff, no problems so far.

boxsterm911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took a long overseas trip in February for 2 weeks. I added extra ATO with an additional 7 gallons because my already installed ATO would only last one week. Longest I’ve ever been away from my tank,
Made sure my parameters were mostly stable before leaving, I was a little more comfortable since the tank is on its 3rd year. Only additional item I was adding an autofeeder.

I was super nervous when leaving and while I was traveling to what I’ll come back to, but I surprised to see all fish alive and now used to the autofeeder, but some of the corals actually looked bigger?

IMG_3370.jpeg

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably longer than I think it can. I’m completely comfortable with 3-4 days right now, but I recently left it for a week and paid a local aquarium maintenance guy to stop in and put eyes on the tank every couple of days and avert danger should the need arise. He didn’t need to do anything.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gone 4-7 weeks every winter for the past 5 years. I have a neighbor that can help in an emergency but otherwise no intervention.
IMG_0528.jpeg

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last May went Two weeks. Day one and Day 14 did feed frozen food. Auto Feeders rest of time on my 65 and 120. Was worried about the ATO Running out of water. I did use Plastic wrap to cover the sumps, to slow the evaporation down. Filter Socks were overflowing and skimmers were pretty full. Everything was okay, and through the algae covered glass fish recognized me and were begged for frozen food. BTW, While we were gone the underground electric cable failed, to the meter. Electricity was off several times as they spliced it, then came back and replaced it. Homemade Battery system kept a minimum amount of water flowing.
If you don't mind, could you elaborate on your homemade battery system. I love a good DIY

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of factors that come into play when it comes to allowing your tank to run on auto pilot, with no human intervention.

What type of equipment you have, what type of fail safes you have in place, what type of livestock you have and the special requirements for their care and so on all play a role.

But no matter what plans you have in place or what equipment you have automating “the process” there’s always a chance that something fails. That fact can keep you up at night when you’re away from your reef aquarium.

With that being said, how long is too long, for you personally, to leave your tank alone?

I go away for business trips that are 4-6 weeks and have no problems leaving the tank completely on auto pilot while I'm away. I do that about 4-5 times a year.

The tank is very automated and I don't worry at all.

Fortunately, the big puddle on floor alarm has never activated, but if it did my LFS have keys to the house and are authorised to do whatever is needed to fix it.

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is still relatively new and having to manually dose nutrients a bit but getting better.

I just left for a week on work with the wife to feed - test run persay. 10 gallon ATO lasted about 6 days. Skimmer she emptied every couple days but probably could have gone 4-5.

I figure when I get autofeeders and a bit more refinement I may be comfortable leaving the tanks for a max of 7 days unattended so long as I can arrange for emergencies.

Tanks have UPS backup for the return pumps and automated dosing already. Just need the autofeeders and a trustworthy emergency provider

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a two year old tank that I am finally more comfortable leaving for 7-10 days.
Only bc my parameters are predictable and I trust my AvastMarine auto feeder.
I wouldn't have gone more than two - three days a year ago.
ALso have a local backup if something popped up to go take care of something or test if needed.
Oh man. I love my plank! That think is rock solid on point feeding!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 78 76.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back