How long should my tang stay in my sump?

Pankney72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I would go for 6-7’ minimum for a PBT however the sailfin is a definite 14’ minimum IMHO. The Sailfin is a nasty fish in too small of a tank but also the sailfin without extended fins gets to the size of a large dinner plate, with fins extended it essentially doubles in size.
The Powder Blue is a
nasty tang but they don’t get quite so large so I wouldn’t say 10’ now but I still don’t agree with a 4’ being big enough. I think 6-8’ would work for this tang (6’ being the bare minimum for any acanthurus tang).
haha right on. I can agree with the thoughts and the rationale there. Just making sure you didn't have some new info I needed to read.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious what the OP did in the end and whether they rehomed or upgraded the tank for both tangs (which is the right move IMHO) or if the two tangs just never got along and one (or both) passed

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently tried a 2 spot bristletooth and my lemon peel killed it.
Bought a larger tomini and put a mirror. It kept the angel busy mostly but still went for the tomini. I have now sumped the tomini since it was easier to catch. Hopefully it eats the algae and recovers

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
really? minimum volume for a powder blue of ~300 gallons? like 400 for a sailfin?
I think this is not a firm rule. Depending on the individual fish IMHO- a 100-200 gallon tank is fine. However, it's very dependent on the tang. A friend of mine has had a sailfin tang in a 125 gallon tank for close to 30 years. However, that tang grew up as a youngster in the tank.

If we used these types of 'rules' based on territory in the wild - we would not be keeping anything except pairs of clowns and an anemone. Likewise, zoos, etc - which have wild African animals that migrate long distances would be shut down. IMHO (no offense @i cant think I do not think one can say that a 14 foot tank is any better than 6 Foot or 8 foot tank for a sailfin, etc etc

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is not a firm rule. Depending on the individual fish IMHO- a 100-200 gallon tank is fine. However, it's very dependent on the tang. A friend of mine has had a sailfin tang in a 125 gallon tank for close to 30 years. However, that tang grew up as a youngster in the tank.

If we used these types of 'rules' based on territory in the wild - we would not be keeping anything except pairs of clowns and an anemone. Likewise, zoos, etc - which have wild African animals that migrate long distances would be shut down. IMHO (no offense @i cant think I do not think one can say that a 14 foot tank is any better than 6 Foot or 8 foot tank for a sailfin, etc etc
I just hope it eats and survives. I may have to rehome it.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I captured my Flame-back Angelfish by taking a piece of pipe. Rubber banding a Clear Plastic bag to one end of the pipe. Rubber banded String to the other end, and baited it with frozen food. It was very suspicious, but on the third evening when the lights ramped down to just the Blues, it took the bait.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 45.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%

Back