How long should your saltwater aquarium fish stay alive?

On average, how long do you expect your fish to stay alive in your aquarium?

• 1-2 Years

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 2-3 Years

Votes: 14 2.3%
  • 3-5 Years

Votes: 85 13.7%
  • 5-7 Years

Votes: 141 22.7%
  • 7-10 Years

Votes: 111 17.9%
  • 10+ Years

Votes: 265 42.7%

• Total voters

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never kept a fish or tank alive for more thank 3 years. I selected 3-5. I don't normally buy baby fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dependant on the species of fish since actually many fish don’t live as long as people may expect, most wrasse live for 5-7 years in the wild and gobies live for 2-3 years in the wild (If I remember correctly) only a few fish families truly live for the 40+ years in the wild and the most common on of them in captivity that I know of is the tang. So I would say for most fish 3+ years is great but a tang or similar 5-10+ years is better depending on the size it’s bought at, a 3” tang could be expected to live for 10-15+ years but a tang close to its max size (a 8-9” Desjardini for example) would be expected to live a shorter lifespan, 5 years is best when they’re close but a few inches off of their max size.
I’d love a species only nano for a Mystery wrasse but get a feeling I wouldn’t have him for long unfortunately, the specimen in the photo is beautiful though!! My LFS has one at £299 and for that price I’d want to keep it for Atleast 5 years if not 10.

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a hard question. There is the common life span in the wild, common life span in the aquarium, and one's own experience.

My son's oldest tank is 2 years old and has Neolamprologus multifasciatus. He has a couple originals still enjoying life. Others did not tolerate the flight to MA, hot weather, power outage, ... etc. So ...

Common life span in the wild = ?
Common life span in the aquarium = 3-5 years
Our best experience = 2 years and going strong

My teenage childhood tank was both beautiful and horrific. I saved for months to get the the tank and fish. It flourished for a year. Then someone added a turtle while I was away. I returned to floating fish with bite marks. Unfortunately Atoll, there were predators in my aquarium :(

Common life span in the wild = ?
Common life span in the aquarium = 3-5 years
My experience = 1 year

NowGlazeIT has a great point in that we rarely know the age of the fish we get. I have heard dealers and store owners comment that they try to obtain that information, but due to the numbers of links in the supply chain, it is almost impossible to get. Getting fish from friends and clubs has advantages.

Happy Holidays everyone,
Jim

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you add a clownfish if it lives for more than 3 days - its success!!!! Celebrate by feeding it some cakes with green cream and some pizza as well..

Time to add your favourite corals - some aiptasia, some xenia treee and lots of ultra yellow-pink-green sps worth $$$ each.

Add as many as possible - it will look really cool and your will definely impress your neighbours with your animal care skills!

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Ocellaris Clown that I have had almost 10 years. Was my first saltwater fish, lived in a Pico on my desk in college. Since move to a nano tank at my parents home for several years, then my prior house it lived in my wifes classroom or in the kitchen depending on time of year. Here shortly it's finally going to retire into my main system.

Funny story there... I have a beautiful pair of gold stripe maroons sadly they just get too nasty. The recent move meant my livestock got to live in a temporary tank at my parents new home. My parents, who haven't had fish in ~5 years now, decided they want a tank again. As a result the maroons are getting their own nano making space for the Ocellaris and a partner in my display.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Given good care, how long do you expect your fish to stay alive in your aquarium?

it if of course depends on the species but most of the fis I have ever dealt with were in the 5-15 years category . I would expect this from mine but I also have to point out that is in an ideal case because something always happens in most of our aquarium regardless of freshwater or saltwater. I think the average of most of the aquarium fishes life expectance is probably closer to the half of what it could be.

2. What's the longest living fish you have ever had?

my longes living fish was about 7 years old (out of 8) it was a Cyprichromis leptosoma. (Freshwater cichlid from lake Tanganyika) - cause of death is tank move - failed circulation in holding barrel.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only been in the hobby for 2 1/2 years so my oldest fish are just a bit over 2 now (a pair of clowns). I hope they live forever! I love those little piranhas!

I have to tip my hat to those with elderly fish. It doesn't take much to make a mistake that's fatal to your inhabitants in this hobby. These guys depend on us to keep their environment safe and healthy every day. Those of you keeping senior citizens are champions!

I'm curious, has anyone made a comparison in lifespans between wild caught and captive bred fish? Does captive breeding make stronger or more delicate fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longevity varies with species of course. I've monitored our fish longevity, freshwater and marine combined over 30 years and I typically see around a 12 to 15% annual mortality rate from all causes, including "old age". In that mix are fish that have lived decades. It also doesn't factor in fish that are still alive. Basically speaking then, the average fish lives about 8 years....with a range of a day (a fish that arrive sick) to "still alive".

Jay

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the species and how old they are when you obtain them of course, but I have Tangs that have been in my reef for 15 years, and large Angels that I've had for 10-12 years. All are still going strong.

Proper QT procedures, a healthy and varied diet, and stable parameters should all lead to long fishy lives.

ScubaJan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never kept a fish or tank alive for more thank 3 years. I selected 3-5. I don't normally buy baby fish.
It depend on the fish. Some of the Gobys live 4 years or so. My first fish , a Percula Clown lived 24 years though he had a mate that died 10 years before him. I have a pigmy angel, fox face and tang now all more than 14 years, the tang almost 20.

Sunny in Miami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do hope my mandarin dragonett can live over 5 years. She is so cute. I also have percula clowns and a Royal gramma that I believe will probably live well into old age and hopefully 20 yrs.

Attachments

• 16390824073523628361395748807963.jpg
    16390824073523628361395748807963.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 21

rodgersm78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Depends on the species. I expect some to live 20+ years. Others a lot less than that.
2. I’ve had my ocellaris clownfish pair and yellow tang for 15 years now.

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well same as other pets it depends on the species as some of shorter lifespans than others but in general 10+years

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back