How long to leave frosted food in fridge

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I’m kinda sick of popping a cube every morning and waiting for it to defrost, so I was hoping i could get y’all’s opinions on how long frozen food can last in a fridge once defrosted, or if it is left to defrost in the fridge?
Thanks!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't wait for them to defrost. I have an old intake grille from a small pump and a suction cup on a 'U' shaped clip from an old heater that fits into the open end of the grille. I pop 1 or 2 cubes into the grille, fit the 'U' clip into the opening and stick it to the glass in the tank. As the cube melts, bits flow out of the grille and the fish all come to eat. It makes feeding fun to watch.

If you like this idea and want to see photos of the part or video of the feeding, just ask and I'll get the camera out.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dedicated little bowl that I dip in my tank and drop a cube into. Takes only a couple minutes then I dump it in.

Upvote 0

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I defrost enough for a couple of days and leave it in the refrigerator. Just like the food we eat, it will last as long as it is cold. I do cover mine with saltwater and this will help preserve it too.

Upvote 0

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Things start to break down and oxidize after thawing. I’ve always heard a day or two is nutritionally best. Personally I wouldn’t keep food in the fridge longer than this.

I just toss whole cubes in my plank feeder mixer now though.

Upvote 0

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I break off a decent sized piece of reef frenzy and thaw it in a specimen cup in salt water. I use what I need for the feeding that day, then I place the rest in the fridge. I feed reef frenzy every other day, so I probably go 6 days with it in the fridge.

I haven't seen any ill effect doing this.

Upvote 0

nukemdanno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treat it the same as the food service world. Not more than 7 days. However you need to rinse the food off before adding it to the tank so your not adding to the nutrient intake of your tank

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy the Saltwater multi pack of frozen food.. I defrost 1 of each in a small amount of tank water and it lasts about 4 or 5 days in the fridge.

Upvote 0

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a weekly am and pm medicine container with premade up portions in the freezer. Then I assign the task of feeding the fish to my 13 year old's "CHORES". LOL

Upvote 0

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m kinda sick of popping a cube every morning and waiting for it to defrost

@EvanDeVita

Wait.... You afraid cold particles of food gonna kill your fish? Negative, totally negative

What's the problem with putting the frozen cube in the tank for feeding?

For 15years I've been taking my frozen cube and placing it on the side of my powerhead, which holds it there with water suction.

As it melts, the powerhead broadcasts the food.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@EvanDeVita

Wait.... You afraid cold particles of food gonna kill your fish? Negative, totally negative

What's the problem with putting the frozen cube in the tank for feeding?

For 15years I've been taking my frozen cube and placing it on the side of my powerhead, which holds it there with water suction.

As it melts, the powerhead broadcasts the food.

No, I don’t feed a whole cube a day. I try and feed two cubes every four days along with pellets.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then pinch the frozen cube with your left thumb and fore finger.... then cut the cube in half with a sharp butcher knife.

... or I could defrost a couple cubes without getting that nasty smell on my fingers... I actually used to do what you said when my tank was lightly stocked, but I realized it was relatively inefficient (took too long)

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back