How low is too low for cyphastrea?

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nice sized colony of meteor shower cyphastrea for about 3 months now. All corals in the tank are growing great.

When we first brought it home, the polyps were open all the time and it would feed on things that would get caught in its polyps. After about the first week, the polyps stopped coming out. Color is good and nothing is stinging it.

It's placed on the bottom of the tank in an area that I thought was pretty low light considering the rest of the tank.

Should I try placing it in an even more shaded area of the tank? I have places like that, but I certainly don't want to snuff it out.

What kind of PAR does everyone keep theirs at and have the polyps open?

Thanks!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

Could you give a bit more info? Hard to say if it needs more or less of something. Can we start with tank info like size, lights, water parameters.

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 3 near the top of the tank growing like crazy, all three not far away from some sps. Think it depends but maybe they are not getting enough light???

OP
OP
InkedReefLady

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

Could you give a bit more info? Hard to say if it needs more or less of something. Can we start with tank info like size, lights, water parameters.

Set up is 300 gallons. Been up for almost 2 years now. All SPS are growing like weeds. That's why I am wondering if it's getting too much light. Definitely not concerned about water params.

Con: 35 PPT
No3: 2.5 PPM
PO4: 0.03 PPM
Alk: 9.18 dKH
pH: around 8
Ca: 490
Mg: 1275

Lights are 3 reefbrite XHO strips and 2 kessil tuna blue pucks (tuned only to blue).

You'll see in the photo, the corals around it are growing just fine. But the coral in question doesn't seem to want to open anymore. The gorgonian does a lot of shading but the corals under it are growing great. That's why I was thinking there was too much light for it.

Left Side.jpg

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Meteor Shower Cyphaestrea is sitting in about 125 par with a moderate amount of flow. To be honest this is the best Ive ever done with one, but the last ones were my fault as I bought them too early in the life of the DT. I've had this one since Jan 2020
IMG_2172.jpg
IMG_2173.jpg

acan637

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where do poeple buy the glass sculptures for cyphastrea to encrust over. particularly this one below:
1586457948308.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 87 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back