How many chalk bass in a 55g?

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm looking for some peaceful tankmates to accompany my biota coral beauty in my 55g fowlr. Thinking about adding a few chalk bass and interested to know thoughts on how many I should go for. Tank is 48"x15"x18 with around 50lb of rock.

Thanks

Nick

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm looking for some peaceful tankmates to accompany my biota coral beauty in my 55g fowlr. Thinking about adding a few chalk bass and interested to know thoughts on how many I should go for. Tank is 48"x15"x18 with around 50lb of rock.

Thanks

Nick
Despite their reputation, I bought 5 for my 320g... they beat each other up and after a month I only had one survivor... he is a model citizen and bothers nothing else in the tank. Just my experience, guess it just goes to show you can never rely on a fish behaving!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorites. The get larger than you expect though. I've had a few that came close to 3". I always go for a group of five.

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite their reputation, I bought 5 for my 320g... they beat each other up and after a month I only had one survivor... he is a model citizen and bothers nothing else in the tank. Just my experience, guess it just goes to show you can never rely on a fish behaving!

Wow that sounds very out of character from what I can gather, guess you got an angry batch?! Out of interest what size were yours?

Thanks all

Nick

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that sounds very out of character from what I can gather, guess you got an angry batch?! Out of interest what size were yours?

Thanks all

Nick
About 3 inches when I got them. The survivor I've had near on 2 years and is about 4.5 inches.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure it's a chalk basket. They don't get that big .... at least none of mine ever did.

Nezmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebra bar gobies, a firefish,or a nice perc clownfish make good peaceful tankmates.

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebra bar gobies, a firefish,or a nice perc clownfish make good peaceful tankmates.
Thanks I do like firefish, a small group of those might be a good alternative. I already have a pair of clowns in my reef and my ultimate plan is to combine the 2 tanks into a much larger system so In the interests of avoiding future conflicts I'm keeping this one clown free

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I do like firefish, a small group of those might be a good alternative. I already have a pair of clowns in my reef and my ultimate plan is to combine the 2 tanks into a much larger system so In the interests of avoiding future conflicts I'm keeping this one clown free
Unless they are a bonded pr, firefish don't tolerate conspecifics, so a group won't work longterm.

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had no idea they got that big, bet it has a decent mouth on it at that size.
Yep... whether that's because he's in a good sized tank in not sure... here he is:
12eb1d3522eac1928745209ecbdb8119.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot .... chalkie indeed.

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep... whether that's because he's in a good sized tank in not sure... here he is:
12eb1d3522eac1928745209ecbdb8119.jpg
what a little beast! Do you keep it with any gobies or peppermint/cleaner size shrimp? just curious if it would be a threat as ultimately whatever I buy will end up combined with my reef tank stock including mandarin in a 200g+ upgrade (thats the dream anyway!)

Thanks

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a little beast! Do you keep it with any gobies or peppermint/cleaner size shrimp? just curious if it would be a threat as ultimately whatever I buy will end up combined with my reef tank stock including mandarin in a 200g+ upgrade (thats the dream anyway!)

Thanks
As I say, on his own he's a model citizen. He's in my full mixed reef... 6 tangs, wrasse, heniochus, hawkfish, mandarin, dwarf angels, blue cheek goby and damsels. Invert wise he's fine, softies, a few of the usual lps, SPS mostly montis of all descriptions. He leaves all alone, along with the hermits, snails, stars etc. There is one shrimp, a blood shrimp (L. debelius), which he lets clean him and shows no other interest in.

Diet wise, he'll eat anything offered as long as it's meaty in origin.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back