How many different methods of nutrient export are you using?

What types of nutrient export are you using?

• Water changes

Votes: 457 81.9%
  • Skimmer

Votes: 474 84.9%
  • Refugium

Votes: 255 45.7%
  • ATS (Algae Turf Scrubber)

Votes: 54 9.7%
  • Macroalgae reactor

Votes: 21 3.8%
  • Carbon/media reactor

Votes: 200 35.8%
  • Filter media in a mesh bag

Votes: 199 35.7%
  • Filter sock/reef diaper

Votes: 251 45.0%
  • Roller mat filter

Votes: 76 13.6%
  • Bio balls

Votes: 80 14.3%
  • Other forms of bio bedia

Votes: 137 24.6%
  • Chemical additives (lanthanum chloride, etc.)

Votes: 58 10.4%
  • Nothing (Live rock/sand bed only)

Votes: 16 2.9%
  • Other (Post in thread)

Votes: 25 4.5%

• Total voters

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 types of filtration on my 120
Water Changes every 2-3 weeks 20-30 gallons
Reef Octopus Regal 200 int skimmer
Santa Monica filtration hog 2.0 ats
BRS carbon and gfo
And my other is Filter floss changed out every other day
59CEF763-DED7-4E39-9068-19A6D66FDF70.jpeg

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) So how many different types of nutrient export are you using?
Skimmer, carbon dosing, occasional lanthanum chloride, live/dry rock
2) How is this working out for you?
This is working ok.. now I started with dry rock, a little live rock, and a skimmer, I waited too long to provide some additional controls when it became obvious that the tank needed help. I fell for the allure of the "just wait it out" theory. It might have worked had I not added fish first rather than corals or not added so many so early. I had to do a little more to get nutrients under control. The tank is coming up on a year old. I'm getting close now. We'll see if carbon dosing and LC will remain on the list as the tank matures. My guess is probably not.
I do roughly 10 gallon a week(ish) water changes, and use filter socks and GAC every once in a while, but that's mostly a trace element and water clarity maintenance thing not N&P control.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the CO2 in the room? I had the same problem and my room CO2 was 600+. Now that it is winter I vent the room and the room CO2 is down to the outside level and my pH has moved from 7.8 to 8.3 without any other adjustments to my dosing
No clue what my CO2 is but I assume it’s high. Town house with 3-4 adults plus pets. Thinking about adding some plants.

I’ve tried everything practical without success. Want to try Alkin8.3 but first I need life to consume my alkalinity. On the bright side. That’s not likely going to be an issue.

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good poll question Daniel, I'd add one caveat. I'd would agree that “... we don't keep fish/corals; we keep water;” however, it seems as if we are kept occupied by water. The export list and chores involved would seem to support this.

1) So how many different types of nutrient export are you using?

13 = 3 human + 2 mechanical + 3 biological + 2 chemical + 2 unintended

2) How is this working out for you?

So far, so good, we are still aquarists and not insane …. I think ….. However, we are always learning and astounded at what we do not know …..

Export for my son's 20 gallon long breaks down this way :

Human export:
1. Water Changes – 10% bi-weekly
2. Pump & Reactor Cleaning – Every 2 months first with citrate for calcium deposits and the H2O2 for algae
3. Glass Cleaning – Beyond scraping, the lid is cleaned weekly with citrate for calcium deposits.

Mechanical:
4. Sponges – Three different pore sizes of sponges remove detritus and excess food in canister filter.
5. Floss – Floss in a reactor and the canister filter removes water borne algae, detritus and excess food.

Biological:
6. Sand substrate – Aragonite sand with beneficial bacteria (started at 4” however the fish rearrange it to 2-5”)
7. Media – Mostly Biohome Ultimate with some Biohome BioGravel
8. Plants – 7 mangroves and 2 pathos

Chemical:
9. Lanthanum chloride (Tropic Marin Elimi-Phos Rapid) – Used for phosphate spikes at 0.5 ml/week in the canister filter before the reactor. This allows the precipitate to be filtered out in the canister filter or reactor.
10. Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO) – Used weekly in a reactor with carbon to lower phosphate.
11. BRS Bulk Premium ROX or bituminous carbon – Used weekly in a reactor with GFO to remove organics.

Unintended Export Methods:
12. Algae – Green algae consumes the system's left over nutrients. It is unfortunately great at that ! Like a nagging voice, it reminds me that something in the tank is out of balance. o_O
13. Snails – These invaders hitchhiked into our home from plants for a freshwater aquarium and decided to join the salty tank for meals. They consume nutrients 2 ways. First, they consume the nitrogen nutrients in the water column. Second, they consume algae.

This list would seem to imply I am a major player in the import & export business. However, much like James Bond and the British Secret Service's "Universal Exports," it is all just a cover. Bond just wanted to enjoy the beach in the Bahamas with the beautiful girl. We're in it for the corals. ;)

That is my story, and I'm stick'n to it,
Jim

dr_no_beach_1a.jpg

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A skimmer, corals, and some ceramic plates. I have a low fish load currently but I can't keep my PO4 up and have to dose it at times. Nitrates bounce around (according to my ICP tests) but I don't care about them. They aren't dangerous to fish to or corals so I am not sure what the fascination is with nitrate these days.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the looks of your aquarium, you're successful !

Those "Poop Reactors" may be the solution. ;)

Jim

Thanks. I have been playing with this minimal equipment approach for a few years now with several small tanks. The only equipment is a HOB for flow , sponge filter, heater and light bar. Its hit or miss and a bit of an art to get the natural balance down. The fish are always healthy and the macro keeps the nitrate and phosphates in check, but getting the macro algae to out complete the nuisance algae is the biggest challenge with this approach. They key is starting out with a lot and regulating feeding.

Last edited:

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have been playing with this minimal equipment aproach for a few years now with several small tanks. The only equipment is a HOB for flow , sponge filter, heater and light bar. Its hit or miss and a bit of an art to get the natural balance down. The fish are always healthy and the macro keeps the nitrate and phosphates in check, but getting the macro algae to out complete the nuisance algae is the biggest challenge with this approach.

Well, you have done well. My son is going through much of the same with a 20 long and a canister filter. If you use YouTube there is a Channel called "Simple Aquariums" where the Australian host documents the journey for a basic non-sump reef tank. A recent episode covered the costs few years in. It is interesting to see what others can do with minimal equipment,

As for algae, ugh , it is "the bane of my existence." My son's tank is now in balance, but the military motto, "Know thy enemy" comes to mind.

Keep us informed on your journey,
Jim

6ft Canister Filter Saltwater Reef Tank - 1 & 1/2 Year full update:

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running refugium only in a 50g cube for a couple months now. Keeps my phosphates at 20ppb and nitrates at 8-15ppm. If I have an unforseen nutrient spike, I run my skimmer overnight. I also do water changes every week (in actuality, closer to once every 10 days or so.)

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have been playing with this minimal equipment approach for a few years now with several small tanks. The only equipment is a HOB for flow , sponge filter, heater and light bar. Its hit or miss and a bit of an art to get the natural balance down. The fish are always healthy and the macro keeps the nitrate and phosphates in check, but getting the macro algae to out complete the nuisance algae is the biggest challenge with this approach. They key is starting out with a lot and regulating feeding.
Totally down with your approach as I do same and I have noted really nice results with “some” water chxs and small 20gal tanks . I do have larger tanks also but find that smaller tanks lend a lot of insights to how best to “husband “ all my lifestock.so I applaud your efforts and will be reporting soon on my testing

nicksreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes do the most work for me!

I am however one of these nefarious no sump, canister filter using types ;Vamp As a result I'm gonna have to fess up to a bit of sponge and bioball/noodle filtration action lurking where the sun don't shine :D

All served with a dash of live rock with a sand bed salad

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I selected skimmer, carbon, filter sock and "other".

The "others" are LR/sand bed and carbon (vodka) dosing. And...let's not forget coral growth is another export.

I used to do WCs too, but I stopped them about 3 months ago when I switched over to the Reef Moonshiner method. The best thing I have ever did.

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very light bio load and lots of coral (a lot, being relative to a 15-gallon nano), and I feed pellets. So, my nitrates stay very low but I do have a phosphate issue.
Currently, I use live rock and sand for the nitrogen cycle, and I use carbon and GFO for phosphates and toxins.
Other than that, I do pretty much nothing. I dose calcium, alkalinity, and the red sea colors program. Every once in while I'll do a 30% - 40% water change, just because and that's it.
(Last time I did a water change, my parameters became unstable for a bit).

Cina05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My number one method of nutrient export is Refugium with Chaeto. Cheap, easy to setup, and very effective! Also use more for other purposes, skimmer and bi-weekly water changes.

Keeps my way over stocked 90g aquarium at PO4 at .08 and NO3 at 4.
Hello . I have a 90 gallon as well, and wondering if I'm at my limit stocking wise. Would you mind sharing your stocking list or a picture for reference? Thanks

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oversized skimmer and refugium; I hardly do water changes (to call it nutrient export), and even the refugium isn't maintained in any real sense. Basically I have a big skimmer (for my tank) and a lot of corals. So the coral growth "uptakes" the nutrients.

Works great honestly... I don't have hair algae issues anymore but the tank can easily "bottom out" so I try to feed very liberally. Like where most people put 1 cube a day I put 2 cubes. It's a 30gal system total basically.

Oh yeah! I also have a reverse flow "DSB" in the tank. That probably accounts for some nutrient export (N).

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello . I have a 90 gallon as well, and wondering if I'm at my limit stocking wise. Would you mind sharing your stocking list or a picture for reference?
My Stocked 90g - 5 big tangs, 2 clowns, orange back & melanarus wrasse, copperband and swallow tail angle. Stuffed with corals everywhere.

D663274B-D31B-4D1E-9B54-A8056A2BACE1.jpeg

1640052604403.jpeg

Last edited:
Back