How many drains / return (bulkheads) to still?

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!! That makes a lot of sense. And in your opinion, would 1 Various 8 rated at 2700 gph (18 ft max head pressure) do the job for a roughly 240g tank? Or should I go with 2??

I would not go with two. You really don't need that much flow through your sump and having two pumps, well now you are spending almost $1,000 on pumps. If you want to know what I would do.. I would buy this:

At your head pressure you will be getting almost 2,900-2,700 GPH of flow for $130. People hate on jebao, but the DCP is a really really nice pump. It is utterly silent and has overheat/jammed impellor protection. Take the money you save and put it towards something that can save your tank in an emergency like an apex.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not go with two. You really don't need that much flow through your sump and having two pumps, well now you are spending almost $1,000 on pumps. If you want to know what I would do.. I would buy this:

At your head pressure you will be getting almost 2,900-2,700 GPH of flow for $130. People hate on jebao, but the DCP is a really really nice pump. It is utterly silent and has overheat/jammed impellor protection. Take the money you save and put it towards something that can save your tank in an emergency like an apex.

Thank you. And lol! I just commented on the Apex on a different thread of mine. Lol

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Jaebo DCP 8000 a year and a half ago for $65. I haven't had any problems with it except that when I tried to install the 1/2" locline nozzles, the flow went to almost zero. I removed the 1/2" adapter and switched to a 1x³/4 adapter with 45°s directing the flow and I got good flow.

Fast forward 1 year and I broke my tank while moving so I decided to rebuild/redesign everything. This included the idea of using 2 return pumps. So i started shopping for new Jaebo pumps. The new line of pumps are now out the DCQ line. To my amazement the price had gone up considerably. What was a $65 pump 18 months ago now cost $100. So I checked the prices of the old DCP pumps. Same story $100.

I decided to try out an AC pump Sicce Syncra 9.0 for 2 ¹/2 time the cost of the Jaebo at $250. I'm still in the middle of my rebuild but I did temporarily set up the Sicce and the flow is at least 5 times that of my Jaebo that would have cost me $100.

I have no idea what warranty comes with the Jaebo but my Sicce has a 5 year warranty.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think having two holes drilled for two return pumps is ideal for redundancy concerns. If you end up with a pump failure, you will still be in good shape until you can replace the failed pump.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think having two holes drilled for two return pumps is ideal for redundancy concerns. If you end up with a pump failure, you will still be in good shape until you can replace the failed pump.
No!! LOL. I wonder if I made it a pole the vote would come back 50/50. I really like the Varios 8 (it fits in the sump area! Even if I did but 2 the same). Footprint in sump (if I stick with Bashsea) is an issue.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaning towards (hoping) 1 pump (Varios 8) would suffice. I guess I stared this wishing someone would give me a thumbs up and discussion over. Unfortunately I got options on both ends (like many options in this hobby). And like most humans, once someone agrees with you or tells you what you want to hear you go with it. Lol.

If I stared with 1 pump (splitting into 2 returns) and I find I don’t have enough power / flow; I could always add a second pump later, T them together has the leave the sump???

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No!! LOL. I wonder if I made it a pole the vote would come back 50/50. I really like the Varios 8 (it fits in the sump area! Even if I did but 2 the same). Footprint in sump (if I stick with Bashsea) is an issue.
I only have one return hole and one return pump, a Jebao DCQ-5000 (which I love), but I always wish I had opted for redundant return pumps when I did my 125 mixed reef build.

bob salzlein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about the cost of high end AC pumps you could consider a Sicce Syncra 9.0 at $250. Two of those with 9 ft of head should Definitely get you
2400 gph through your sump. Hydor is another alternative AC pump.
The Hydor D 2400 is a A/C pump, but the way it has been designed, it actually runs cooler and cost the same to run or less than a D/C pump and has more flow.

Seltz D - DC Specs.jpg

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dreamcatcher,
Measure carefully on return pumps. I just received my Bashsea Smart Series sump, it is the 48x15x16 and it is a work of art, however, the return section is very small. I have a Current eFlux 6011(3170gph) and it will barely fit in the return section and it will not fit with the strainer on the pump. There is no way you're going to get two pumps in that return section unless you custom order one from Bashsea. Don't misunderstand me, I love the sump but do wish they made the return section larger.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dreamcatcher,
Measure carefully on return pumps. I just received my Bashsea Smart Series sump, it is the 48x15x16 and it is a work of art, however, the return section is very small. I have a Current eFlux 6011(3170gph) and it will barely fit in the return section and it will not fit with the strainer on the pump. There is no way you're going to get two pumps in that return section unless you custom order one from Bashsea. Don't misunderstand me, I love the sump but do wish they made the return section larger.
Did your sump size match it’s spec’d dimensions on paper? I’m looking at the SS60. According to the specs I’d be ok...

Though I am also look at a Reef Crystal sump (it’s bigger!) I love the look and style of the Bashsea, but I’m worried for the 240g tank I am looking at, it won’t be enough.

I did ask Bashsea for a custom quote to make it a few inches wider.... hahahaha!!!! Nope. Hence looking at the Reef Crystal sump....

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The specs on the sump are correct so no fault of Bashsea though for such large sumps they should really consider making the return section larger. I sent the Current eFlux back and opted for a VarioS 8 instead. Don't know if it's any smaller but it's the pump I wanted originally and was sending back a few other items so sent it in as well for an exchange.

Did Bashsea get back to you or was the price too high? I've emailed them asking if they'd make a lid for over the refugium section in mine but no reply.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The specs on the sump are correct so no fault of Bashsea though for such large sumps they should really consider making the return section larger. I sent the Current eFlux back and opted for a VarioS 8 instead. Don't know if it's any smaller but it's the pump I wanted originally and was sending back a few other items so sent it in as well for an exchange.

Did Bashsea get back to you or was the price too high? I've emailed them asking if they'd make a lid for over the refugium section in mine but no reply.
I looking at Various 8, hoping I can get 2 I’m the return section.

I did the quote bit it was through saltwateraquarium.com. Double the price to add two inches.

I looked at Synergy sumps too, but the shipping cost is outrageous!

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you think you could fit two (2) Various 8 pumps in the return section?

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looking at Various 8, hoping I can get 2 I’m the return section.

I did the quote bit it was through saltwateraquarium.com. Double the price to add two inches.

I looked at Synergy sumps too, but the shipping cost is outrageous!

Wow, double the price!?! Someone is slapping a big fat markup on it....

The best price I found on the Bashsea sumps is through fishtanksdirect. I've bought several things from them lately and have to admit their customer service has been excellent, every time I had a question/request and sent an email not only did I get a quick reply I also got a phone call from them. Pretty darn good prices too.

Do you think you could fit two (2) Various 8 pumps in the return section?

I'll be happy to let you know soon, I have a Varios 8 on the way so as soon as it gets here I'll see if I could fit two of them in the return section.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, double the price!?! Someone is slapping a big fat markup on it....

The best price I found on the Bashsea sumps is through fishtanksdirect. I've bought several things from them lately and have to admit their customer service has been excellent, every time I had a question/request and sent an email not only did I get a quick reply I also got a phone call from them. Pretty darn good prices too.

I'll be happy to let you know soon, I have a Varios 8 on the way so as soon as it gets here I'll see if I could fit two of them in the return section.
That would help me tons! Thank you

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dreamcatcherr9 Ok, received my new Varios 8 yesterday and popped it into the return section on the Bashsea, it fits better than the Current eFlux however I'm afraid you're not going to be able to fit two in the return section, it's just not big enough. I hope this helps you. Pics coming.....

IMG_pump01.jpg IMG_pump02.jpg

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dreamcatcherr9 Ok, received my new Varios 8 yesterday and popped it into the return section on the Bashsea, it fits better than the Current eFlux however I'm afraid you're not going to be able to fit two in the return section, it's just not big enough. I hope this helps you. Pics coming.....

dang! Thank you. The specs show the return section the same size for your model and the SS60 I was looking at. I was hoping they would fit side by side, but a picture is worth a thousand words. And it clearly looks like it won’t fit.

I wonder if the specs on bash sump is wrong or if the spec size for pump is wrong. Grrrr!!! That complicates things even more!

Really appreciate the follow up response. Thank you sir!!!!

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Grrr!!!

651BDB86-F734-41D9-9612-832EF62437B3.png B33659BE-4C52-4B7A-BE03-125011506548.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back