How many fish are to many?

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
inmates are fine too in their 6x12 cell.

A person could literally live in a closet if they had sufficient access to food/ water. I wouldn't recommend it and they would probably have a shorter lifespan just like when people cram certain fish into to small of a tank..... but hey its possible lol

I agree with the others, get rid of the naso it will outgrow your tank if it isn't already to big (don't know your definition of a medium sized naso). In a 120, you could do yellow/ purple/ scopus if the $ isn't a big deal and Im sure other tangs as well but those are the best in a 4' tank IMO.

As far as number 7-15 is fine (higher # = more smaller types, less larger types). I have 22 in my 180g and am considering adding a large school of chromis that will push me well into the 30s, but I have pretty good filtration and alot of extra water plumbed in too.... among other things.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the sailfin as well. It also gets fairly large. I think LA suggest min tank is 180 and max size is 1'3", which of course it will never reach in an aquarium. But good to know. I'd stick with some of the smaller tangs.

Perhaps try a yellow, purple, kole, bristle tooth, or one of the powder if you have very good water quality and are prepared to treat for ich.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1" per 5 gallons.... sweet I can keep a 14" naso in a 75 gallon and still add a small chromis lol

There really is no good "rule" it all depends on the person, their filtration, water changes, and how the person takes care of their tank/ system in general. Water flow is important also in maintaining higher amounts of fish, and a nice big oversized skimmer to suck all the poo from the water. Surface water movement is important as well...... and Im sure theres about 2.5 million other factors that play into the amount of fish you could actually keep in your system.

OP
OP
noo2usa

noo2usa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm starting to gather. I just don't want to over populate. I like my fish to have plenty of room to swim and be active.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it depends on your tank and how old it is. If it's a well cycled tank, I wouldn't do more than 1 medium fish per 10 gallons but that's just me. I keep a low bio-load and my corals seem to appreciate it. However, I have a biopellet reactor that has been cooking for 3 months or so so I guess I could go with a few more fish. It just depends on the situation and the fish I guess. Some fish are small but need lots of space to hunt and swim (like some say a possum wrasse will be ok in a nano but I would never keep them in a tank less than 50 gallons).

gillundr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tang will out grow it eventually. JuSt like most things people keep. As long as you are aware of the fact things are fine. if its smallet and happy and room to swim and you like it. If it was me I would keep it. Once it gets too big either upgrade or trade/sell it. Just my opinion.
120 is a good size but it wont be big enough for many full grown tangs but you most likely have plenty of time to decide. Its tough finding healthy fish sometimes so I would be hesitant taking it out if its good now.
Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People will probably freak out at this but my family went nuts buying fish for my 46g a while back and I now have 11. Luckily they are all small fish and are all doing fine. I do feed them frequently and perform regular water changes.

I would not recommend this as an acceptable thing to do so please do not try this at home, I am a professional lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back