How many fish is too much for a 300 gallon reef

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I'm setting up a 300 gallon tank and was wondering if I have too many fish to start a reef tank was pre set up so this is what's in the the tank now
-12" Naso
-12" vlanmingii
-8" unicorn
-4"purple tang
-3" scopas
-"8" sailfin
-6" clown trigger
-6" Niger trigger
-2" burrfish
-7" foxface
-6" majestic angel
-6" Koran angel
-7" emperor angel
-8" blue line grouper
-6" convict tang

I have the skimz monster skimmer and a coralife 125 gallon skimmer I got the nitrates down after I did a 100% water change they were at 200ppm prior the water change and have been 20 or lower ppm in nitrates all other levels mg,cal etc are stable testing with redsea pro test kits I am a nemguy not so muc a fish guy especially when it comes to this big of tank any help and advice would be gear in also dosing vodka I dose on all my tanks I'm just trying to find the right dose:) thanks ahead for the replies here's a pic there's a few nems and coral in the tank now
369b5f3c64563d6d00c68ebaf6fd1751.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as too many fish that depends on your tanks ability to export nutrients (fish poo and the like).

Your sizes above look far larger than the fish do in the photos? If those sizes are correct and you have two 1 foot long tangs then that is a heavy load and that 8" unicorn will soon catch up.

Still, if your parameters are manageable then far be it for me to tell you it's overstocked.

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yeah we measured the fish as we caught them when we moved the tank to my house what a haul especially down basement stairs and the tangs get a strict seaweed diet they do get the occasional live mysids and I feed the triggers live ghost shrimp to avoid very meaty foods to pollute the water when I took the picture I was very far from the tank trying to fit it all in lol thanks for the reply as exporting nutrients how can I improve this I was thinking of a fluidized bed filter and/or adding special blend every 3/4 days to help

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with 4fordfamily. Your parameters, and fish behavior will be the best indicators of whether you are overstocked or not.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-12" Naso
-12" vlanmingii
-8" unicorn
-4"purple tang
-3" scopas
-"8" sailfin
-6" clown trigger
-6" Niger trigger
-2" burrfish
-7" foxface
-6" majestic angel
-6" Koran angel
-7" emperor angel
-8" blue line grouper
-6" convict tang

That's a lot of big fish. Personally that's too many for my liking. I know my tank isn't quite as big as yours at 220, but here is my stock and don't plan to add anymore.
  • (2) B&W Ocellaris clownfish
  • (2) Banggai Cardinalfish
  • (2) Engineering Goby
  • (3) Blue/Green Chromis
  • (1) Vlamingi Tang
  • (1) Yellow Tang
  • (1) Blue Hippo Tang
  • (1) Yellow Clown Goby
  • (1) Wheelers Goby
  • (1) Magnificent Foxface
  • (1) Lyretail Anthias

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nearly twice your bioload and handle it no prob with a monster cheato growing tank and no skimmer. I do big water changes every few months though.
Here's s vid showing my tank. 350 gallon. The big fish are approaching 12"

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Awesome thanks guys and it's a bit more for my liking too I didn't buy them they came with the tank, yesterday evening and this morning the nitrates are still undetectable from the addition of special blend and 30 ml of vodka I plan to remove the trigger fish into my 130 that's on a 450 gallon system what do you guys think of moving the triggers to the 130? Will they be okay in there?

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have nearly twice your bioload and handle it no prob with a monster cheato growing tank and no skimmer. I do big water changes every few months though.
Here's s vid showing my tank. 350 gallon. The big fish are approaching 12"

That's amazing! Could I get a picture of your sump set up I don't like the wet dry that's being used I think I might switch it out for something els as I want to make this tank a reef and move my 40 anemones in into the tank.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's amazing! Could I get a picture of your sump set up I don't like the wet dry that's being used I think I might switch it out for something els as I want to make this tank a reef and move my 40 anemones in into the tank.
It's nothing fancy man. Just a 130 full of cheato. I light it from 1 side and the top though. I'll try to do a vid to show you though. I also made a sand filter to that collects all the detrisus. My vids are under Wayne's 300 gallon reeftank

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
It's nothing fancy man. Just a 130 full of cheato. I light it from 1 side and the top though. I'll try to do a vid to show you though. I also made a sand filter to that collects all the detrisus. My vids are under Wayne's 300 gallon reeftank
Awesome thanks just looking for some new ideas and your tank looks really well taken care of so your method and filtration look like that are working!

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely ditch the wet dry.

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Definitely ditch the wet dry.
Yeah I hate wet dry filters they suck for reefs I'm surprised I was able to get the nitrates down to undetectable. I just have to figure out how to switch it out and how to make a sump that filters and can keep up with a large fish volume

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I hate wet dry filters they suck for reefs I'm surprised I was able to get the nitrates down to undetectable. I just have to figure out how to switch it out and how to make a sump that filters and can keep up with a large fish volume
I would install a filter sock or rottertube on your drain line instead. If you have some cash and some space a RollerMat would be a great replacement for a wet dry system.

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I would install a filter sock or rottertube on your drain line instead. If you have some cash and some space a RollerMat would be a great replacement for a wet dry system.
Awesome and that could be a good investment I just moved some nems in today and a coral shark

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 149 75.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back