How many gobies is too many?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I know this is going to sound ridiculous however, I plan to have a lot of rocks, although have them more like rubble (Small piles of rocks with the odd clam shell wedged in between or in the sand) and just wondered how many gobies is too many? Would I get away with 5-6 or be better off sticking with 4?

So, since I’ve only explained a small amount so far I guess I should explain more:
I have 3 gobies established in a Red Sea Max Nano (18”x15-16”x18”) I plan to have one more. Yes I know too many fish is an issue with bioload, I do weekly water changes (12 litres - 3g - each week, the total tank volume is 75 litres - 20g) so my bio load isn’t an issue to hold. Right now it’s doing alright with 7 fish total (2 are temporary) and I have a drive for gobies. The three gobies established are, Koumansetta hectori, Stonogobiops yasha, Gobiodon strangulatus. The gobies I like the look of that stay small are:
Tryssogobius sarah
Evoita atriventris
Trimma cana
Trimma rubromaculatus
Priolepis nocturna
Signigobius biocellatus

I know it’s a long list and I don’t have hopes of owning them all at once but if it’s possible I would love to try knock them down one by one. Id rather have Indonesian native species in my tank (I’m sticking to the Indonesian theme). I’d prefer low bio load ones due to the hopes of owning a clam (I will try grow a tiny bit of sea lettuce in the tank to see if that will help nutrients aswell). I’d love the other goby owners/lovers to chime in and see if they think it’s possible but I will also accept information from you other guys that like the higher bioload fish. I will add photos of my nano in the morning if lights aren’t on right now.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 dwarf and 3 black bellied and a jester in a 6g. They are fine. Very small and easy husbandry. So, if you go with the trimma or the eviota genus, you are fine to have many. Honestly, 5 in a 20g with what you have is fine.

Check out the Biota gobies. Captive bred so no qt and very hardy. Those are the guys I have.

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 dwarf and 3 black bellied and a jester in a 6g. They are fine. Very small and easy husbandry. So, if you go with the trimma or the eviota genus, you are fine to have many. Honestly, 5 in a 20g with what you have is fine.

Check out the Biota gobies. Captive bred so no qt and very hardy. Those are the guys I have.
What do you feed them?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, after messing with some rock outside of my nano (I will rinse it with SW before I go ahead with the plan and the shark eggs will not be going in) I got this sort of formation, now my main issue is if this will take up too much space for the gobies.
84209696-0A71-4F9C-805B-40A8A17BCAE3.jpeg
3CDAA3A8-4CF3-4E44-890B-E9DCD5FB9F1E.jpeg
611492BD-E61D-4B6F-9871-22F68D775C9F.jpeg

I did some more research on the mentioned gobies and found 4 of them to be native to Indonesia:
T. sarah
E. atriventris
T. rubromaculatus
P. nocturna

I’ve wanted a Fairy goby for a while but also forgot to add another goby to the list:
D. griessingeri

So, my plan is a T. sarah and one or two of the other guys, how does that sound? Insane or just fine?

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any input except I saw this instagram post from biota with 6 small gobies in a 8 gallon

That’s beautiful and gives me more hope to gobies being much less territorial than I thought.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s beautiful and gives me more hope to gobies being much less territorial than I thought.

I have 2 starry gobies they are kind of ugly but adorable. They don't really swim so much as hop, it's especially cute when Its eating time they bounce up like someone on a trampoline and catch food. The bigger one likes to give the smaller one an occasional little chase to show it who's boss but I guess between species there isn't much if any aggression.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back