How many Hobbyist are having fish shipped?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought from several on line places and my LFS. I've always gotten healthy fish from my LFS. The problem is most of the time they only have the same old common fish, nothing interesting. Occasionally I get lucky...I got a wonderful Potter's wrasse, a Pink Margin wrasse and a H. claudia from them but they never have the good stuff NYA, DD, Reefwise have.

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered from Liveaquaria a few times. Had overall good experiences. Once I had a DOA, but they were helpful. Haven't bought from any other online fish suppliers, as I'm always concerned with DOA or parasites. I'm in the process of cycling a QT for this purpose and plan to try NYAquatics. Seems like coral is way easier to find solid online retailers for than fish.

Give tsmcorals.com a shot I think they are the best around. Also great customer service and great healthy fish. If you don't see it on his site call him he sticks a lot of fish

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy fish mostly online now - liveaquaria, ny aquatic and BlueZoo. LA has the best guarantee, NYA is local. I will still buy at my LFS if there's a fish I want, though it tends to be a spontaneous purchase.

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've purchase from various LFS in the past 15 yrs in the hobby. In those 15 years I've known only 3 who actually QT but usually a hefty price tag came with that fish. The truth is LFS don't QT...lol as soon as the fish arrive there hoping to get rid of the fish. They dont want that fish dying in there tank. Honestly, regardless if you buy LFS, online or wholesale there's no guarantee how long your fish will live. If you buy a healthy looking fish, acclimate your fish properly, introduce garlic in the food chances your fish will survive.

Last edited by a moderator:

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've purchase from various LFS in the past 15 yrs in the hobby. In those 15 years I've known only 3 who actually QT but usually a hefty price tag came with that fish. The truth is LFS don't QT...lol as soon as the fish arrive there hoping to get rid of the fish. They dont want that fish dying in there tank. Honestly, regardless if you buy LFS, online or wholesale there's no guarantee how long your fish will live. I've purchase from NY Aquactics and never a happy ending. He works out of his garage a mini wharehouse, with no guarantee. He sell gem tangs at $999.99 and dont qt them. If you buy a healthy looking fish, acclimate your fish properly, introduce garlic in the food chances your fish will survive.
Kind of goes along with my other thread.
http://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/311632/

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do petco as well, ive even managed to make friends with the department manager and i get free fish. they are "rescues" i live in a college town and every year students drop off theire fish because they cant take them with when they leave school. ive gotten hundreds of dollars of free live rock equipment and fish. in fact ive only baught 4 fish out of the 8 i have. just lucky i guess

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do petco as well, ive even managed to make friends with the department manager and i get free fish. they are "rescues" i live in a college town and every year students drop off theire fish because they cant take them with when they leave school. ive gotten hundreds of dollars of free live rock equipment and fish. in fact ive only baught 4 fish out of the 8 i have. just lucky i guess

I really like this idea.

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this idea.
if you have a petco near you just go in and ask for someone knowledgeable to help you and just ask if they have any fish "adoptions" petco takes in unwanted fish, no lfs around me will do that. its gratifying knowing im helping out animals as well as expanding my hobby.

TheTallGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is terrible so I have ordered off of Liveaquaria several times. I've ordered freshwater fish and shrimp as well as saltwater ones and even some snails. I did have one show up dead but their customer service took care of it quickly.

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My go to guy for almost a year now has been zoa collector Also known as Colin. Great guy. Awesome prices. Shipping is top notch. Haven't had any issues with him thus far and I've bought plenty of fish from him. Goldflake. Achilles. Convicts. Potters. Flame. Henoichus butterflies just to name a few. Potter and flame and a multicolor were the prettiest and brightest colors I have ever seen

mbmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy fish mostly online now - liveaquaria, ny aquatic and BlueZoo. LA has the best guarantee, NYA is local. I will still buy at my LFS if there's a fish I want, though it tends to be a spontaneous purchase.[/QUOTE
Same here , love the selection and prices.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get most of mine from live aquaria (because of the guarantee). Have also purchased from NY aquatic.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back