How many hours a week do you spend "Reefing"

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, I've been in the hobby almost three months and I am shocked how willing I am to dump hours of time into this fish tank. Despite all the hiccups, (Ba da ba ba ba!) I'm lovin it! What's surprising to me is not the amount of time I spend doing water changes and scraping glass, but the time spent researching topics, watching YouTube videos, diagnosing problems, shopping for livestock, etc. Its just always on my mind. Maybe its just a bit of a honeymoon phase, so I'd love to hear from you all, how much time do you spend doing actual work on the tank, and how much do you spending thinking about it, researching things, online reading about reefing, etc...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This should be good! I think it will be an indicator on how good your tank is doing it not! Ha!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a spend a lot of hours each week, whether it’s looking around on reef2reef, researching various stuff for my tank, or doing maintenance on my tank. I can’t put a exact amount of time for hours each week but I feel like it’s a lot.

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, I've been in the hobby almost three months and I am shocked how willing I am to dump hours of time into this fish tank. Despite all the hiccups, (Ba da ba ba ba!) I'm lovin it! What's surprising to me is not the amount of time I spend doing water changes and scraping glass, but the time spent researching topics, watching YouTube videos, diagnosing problems, shopping for livestock, etc. Its just always on my mind. Maybe its just a bit of a honeymoon phase, so I'd love to hear from you all, how much time do you spend doing actual work on the tank, and how much do you spending thinking about it, researching things, online reading about reefing, etc...
I'm about to hit the 6 month mark, and I'm in the same boat as you. Just about any free moment is used up researching one thing or another. I feel like I've developed a routine for water changes and standard maintenance, but it's hard to put a number on it. Easily 5-6 hours... probably a lot more than I care to admit, even to myself. :grinning-squinting-face:

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been difficult to convince my therapist that I’m not manic, I just have a reef tank.

maybe 1hr total interacting with the tank. Feeding, dosing AB+, testing, scrapping glass.

I read or watch probably 2-3hrs a day about the biological processes pertaining to my system and inhabitants. I’m always interested in learning more

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been difficult to convince my therapist that I’m not manic, I just have a reef tank.

maybe 1hr total interacting with the tank. Feeding, dosing AB+, testing, scrapping glass.

I read or watch probably 2-3hrs a day about the biological processes pertaining to my system and inhabitants. I’m always interested in learning more
Well, to be frank there are much worse things to be addicted to! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many hours a week? My Gal would say too many since she says my hobby has become an obsession :face-with-tears-of-joy: I say I really have no idea but I have the time so it can't be too many right?

I'm retired so I no longer keep close track of time. Sleep when tired, get up when I can't sleep any longer. I spend more time on reef related stuff than I could even keep track of or want to.
Tank in the bedroom so it's the first thing I see when I wake up. Lights start ramping at 9am so its kind of a morning clock, if the light are bright I know it's no longer morning.
Tank in the dining room so I can watch it while eating.
Tank in the living room so I can watch it while my Gal thinks I'm watching something stupid on TV with her.
Sump in the basement for my larger system so I can hang out down there when I need a little quite time.
I spend way too much time on here reading and trying to gather tidbits of valuable info to file away and try to offer what little assistance can.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many years...countless hours a week. Working on projects, maintenance, shopping, researching, tinkering, etc. Im constantly thinking about it ( helps ger me through the day ar work lol). Fortunately my wife got the bug too so shes all in. We frequently take mini road trips to check put lfs in other cities, etc. We just bought another tank because she got tired of hearing "we cant have that in our tank" at the LFS. This weekend we took off work to attend myrtle beach frag fest. My love of reefing led me to sell my house and move to hawaii for 8 years to study marine biology and aquaculture (where i met my wife). Reefing isnt a hobby for me. Its a way of life. I live and breathe this stuff.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had reef tanks in the 90s . I could not keep my hand out of the tank making things perfect in my eyes trying to get the best of looking reefs . Now theses days I have more success hardly touching it apart from regular water changes and maintenance testing when needed . So my opinion is less is more

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back