How Many Hours Do You Run T5 + Halides?

EricTheRed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have a Spectra and run 2x250 Radiums and 4 ATI Blue+. I was running the T5's for 9 hours and the Halides for 8 hours but I noticed some acros were more pale than they should be (and I don't run ULNS). I just dropped the T5's to 8 hours and the Halides down to 6 to see if it makes a difference.

I'm curious to know how long others with MH + T5 run their lights for?

MrSkumfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Spectra a few years ago. I had a 10 hour light cycle. My blue plus x4 were on the entire 10hrs and my 10k (amazon) bulbs ran for 6 hours during that cycle.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my MH for 9-10 hours a day on my acropora tank - on/off with no supplement. On one tank where I have some T12 VHOs (close enough), I run the VHOs for 12 hours and the Halides for 4 or 5 (I forgot) - this is not a high light demand tank.

I turn my fluorescents off when the Halides are on... save on bulb life, energy and heat... you cannot hardly tell that they are on anyway with the MH blaring.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the T5s ON for 9 hours and the 250W 20K Hamilton halides running with electronic ballast for 4 hours on my Spectra today.
That is about the limit for what I have (zoanthids) using the 250W bulbs. I could use 175W bulbs and have a longer photoperiod like I used to. Acros could take more...
I would bring it down and let it be for a while. The system will take a while to get used to. The long run will tell you. Normally there is no need for too much light. Balance is what you need to reach. Nutrients in the water will help you with high light, but with Acros you need low nutrients. Try to offer some amino acids to help right now, if you have some as an immediate remedy. Small amounts!!! Very small.
Spectrum/PAR plays with photoperiod too.
I think the best for your tank would be T5s for 8 hours and halides for 5-7 hours, so just relax for now. It's going to be fine... Later you can start giving more light if you want... jda use his halides foor 9-10 hours. There are other guys with Acro tanks that use their halids for 12 hours. They can take, but you need to go slow...
Pics?

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your responses. As a side note...I am dosing aminos sparingly.
Aminos aren't necessary. They work as a "complementary diet". Small amounts in situations like yours will "touch them up" to recover. Still not necessary, but it accelerates the recovery process. Skimmer also removes aminos, so turn off the skimmer and wait an hour or 2 before turn it on. 3 times a week tiny amounts will give you fast results. Many different types of aminos. Common sense on quantity/ bioload. If you are already using don't change then... Pics? Don't be shy. LOL!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back