How many LEDs do you need? | Reef FAQs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have 3 Orphek Atlantiks, 3 Orphek light bars, two reefbrite 72" Tech and two SB reef ultra, but the par and color balance is amazing

660g 7.17e.jpg

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I’m curious, I love these videos, but they never cover anything but radions or hydras (same thing), or kessill. They also didn’t speak about critical angel and or lens etc. most of the time the average reefer doesn’t have access to a par meter. I can’t say if newbies start with these super expensive lights, but I know both the lfs in Boise don’t carry them or even use them.

They did mention the other one as well but missed the mitas ghl x7 and reefbrites etc. In also prospective, he mentioned annoying light that’s wasted. Their are lights such as fluval and current usa where they sit directly on top. What’s the point of so much power when you have to hang it 12 inches or more, from the surface? How much energy is wasted and how does that affect the critical angel and sin and cos angle of light once it refracts? I did enjoy the video but, the lights covered just happen to be most expensive and corals don’t need these super high powered lights. Yes corals will grow and shade just like in the wild. One can simply trim them which actually helps promote growth, or move the lights or simply add more. They also didn’t talk about if you have a lot of sps and lps and softies in a single tank. That’s much harder to do, and it’s still a struggle for me.

It would be nice to see a video (and maybe they have one and I haven’t seen it), where they show you how to do a mixed reef tank. Some less expensive leds are 72 in and 48,36,24 long. This pretty much eliminates shadow effect until the corals grow out. Using three model 4117 current usa, I have no shadow effect and my tank is a 240 which is 72 long 24 deep (front to back) and 34 tall top of glass to bottom of glass). My Maximus clam is 24 inches down maybe 28, but it grows great. Again love the videos but would love to see them light a tank like mine with out hydra or radions and see what they come up with using leds. Puck style lights will always eventually have issues with shading.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back